Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

4 December
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 8:35    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Revocation of Babel Proclamation, December 4, 1918

Description - The Babel Proclamation was issued by Iowa's Governor William L. Harding. He took the anti-German sentiment in the wake of World War I further than any other state, and he proclaimed that "Only English was legal in public or private schools, in public conversations, on trains, over the telephone, at all meetings and in all religious services." This document source is the revocation from Harding that removed executive order from the provisions of the "Babel Proclamation," but upheld the use of English only in classrooms. A revocation is the official cancellation of a decree, decision or promise.

https://iowaculture.gov/history/education/educator-resources/primary-source-sets/immigration-regulation-response-and/revocation-babel

Revocation of Babel Proclamation, 1918

State of Iowa
Executive Department
A Proclamation
To the People of Iowa:
Whereas, on the 23d day of May, 1918, the undersigned, by virtue of authority in him vested as
Governor of Iowa, issued a proclamation directing attention to the duty of all citizens during the
progress of the war to “refrain from acts and conversations which might excite suspicion and strife
among the people,” and requesting every person to “demean himself that every word and act would
manifest his loyalty to his country and his solemn purpose to aid in achieving victory for our Army and
Navy and the permanent peace of the world,” and declaring “ the great aim and object of all should be
unity of purpose and solidarity of all the people under the flag for victory;” and
Whereas, to accomplish these purposes, it was proclaimed that certain rules should obtain, which were
in substance that the English language should be employed as the medium of instruction in all
schools, in conversation in public places and over telephones, and in public address, which, as was
said, would “result in peace and tranquility at home and greatly strengthen the country in battle,” and
suggesting that the blessings of our country were so great “ that any inconvenience or sacrifice should
willingly be made for their perpetuity;” and
Whereas, the terms of the armistice joined in by all the belligerent powers include the resumption of
war, the authority for issuing the rules laid down in the proclamation no longer continues as a war
grant power;
Now Therefore, in order to avoid any misunderstanding, notice is hereby given that said rules set out
in the proclamation of May 23d, 1918, are no longer in force as an executive order.
The people generally throughout the state are to be commended for patriotically conforming with the
spirit and purpose of the Proclamation even though it involves some inconvenience or modification of
custom.
The necessity for the solidarity of our people has been demonstrated to every American citizen during
the war as never before. National Unity can be best maintained by the employment of a common
vehicle of communication, and this vehicle in the United States, by reason of custom and law, is the
English language. This does not mean that a citizen should be able to speak no other language. It does
mean, however, That though he be conversant with another language or languages he should be able to
make efficient use of the official language of the country and should use the same.
Further, the English language should be the only medium of instruction in all schools of state, weather
public, private, denominational or otherwise, and no foreign language should be taught in any school
of grade lower than high school, and if taught it should be as a culture and not as a medium of
instruction for other subjects.
While we welcome enlightened and thrifty people to our shores and to all the advantages of free
institutions under our representative form of government, this is not with the view, and should not be
so interpreted, of enabling them to establish themselves in communities by themselves and thereby
maintaining the language and customs of their former country. All should understand that they are
welcome to come, but for the purpose of becoming a part of our own people, to learn and use our
language, adopt our customs, and become citizens of our common country.
In Testimony Whereof, I have here unto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the
State of Iowa.
Done at Des Moines, this fourth day of December, 1918.
By the Governor: <signed> W. L. Harding
<signed> W. S. Allen, Secretary of State.

https://iowaculture.gov/sites/default/files/history-education-pss-america-revocation-transcription.pdf

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 8:53    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Schulchronik Kriegsdorf, 4. Dezember 1918: Der Unterricht in Kriegsdorf fällt erneut aus, auch kehrt Lehrer Baeß zurück.

Vom 27. November 1918 an mußte der Schulunterricht ausfallen, da die Schule von rückziehenden Soldaten belegt war.
Am 4. Dezember war Viehzählung, die ich im Orte vorzunehmen hatte, deshalb fiel der Unterricht aus.
Am heutigen Tage verlasse ich die hiesige Schule, um da Herr Lehrer Baeß aus dem Felde zurückgekehrt ist, und nun den Unterricht wieder aufnimmt.
Kriegsdorf, den 4. Dezember 18.
Johannes Müller

https://archivewk1.hypotheses.org/73049

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 8:55    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

December 4, 1918: Foodstuffs and Prices. The Control Measures.

Disappointment has been expressed because the appointment of a Foodstuffs Commissioner has not immediately resulted in a fall in the prices of food-grains. But it is obvious that any attempt to control wholesale prices in a time when supplies are short must be a difficult and dangerous operation, if it is not to result in driving supplies underground; also that in a country of the size of India arrangements must move slowly. Moreover, in view of the known shortness of supplies, for the crop failure is probably unprecedented in its extent, no general considerable fall in prices can be immediately expected. The main source of supply will be the Province of Burma, with its large exportable surplus of rice. Under the orders of the Government of India licenses for the export of rice from Burma have been cancelled and exports of foodstuffs to countries overseas are being restricted to moderate quantities and in the main to countries where there is a resident Indian population.

https://www.thehindu.com/archives/from-the-archives-december-4-1918-foodstuffs-and-prices-the-control-measures/article25656206.ece

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 8:56    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

4 December 1917 - WW1 Blog - Jersey Heritage: COAL SUPPLY ARRANGEMENTS TIGHTENED

The situation with coal supplies during this forthcoming winter is a cause for serious concern – both nationally and locally. Through special measures taken in the UK, the supply and sale of coal there is being tightly regulated. Jersey announced plans for a similar approach this week.

Britain appointed a ‘Coal Controller’ early in 1917. With coal so vital to the nation’s war effort, the controller ensures Britain had enough for its needs available at an affordable price.

Jersey now has its own Coal Controller, Deputy Francis John Bois, a man already with considerable experience of assuring the island’s wartime supplies.

Appointed by the Defence Committee, Deputy Bois’ powers are extensive when it comes to the supply and pricing of coal. The new controller has automatically taken possession of all stocks in the island, including those in the hands of coal merchants. This means that every merchant has to supply detailed information on their present stocks to Deputy Bois, with the deadline for doing so set as Saturday 16 December 1917.

In the meantime, Deputy Bois has assured islanders that merchants can continue selling coal for local needs. They must keep records on all stocks sold however.

https://www.jerseyheritage.org/ww1-blog/4-december-1917

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 8:58    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Doorbraken van de Grebbeliniedijk en Slaagsedijk, in de nacht van 3 op 4 december 1917.

Het lijkt op oorlogsgeweld, maar volgens de informatie betreft het een 'natuurramp'... https://www.archiefeemland.nl/bronnen/foto-s/detail/42358dc4-dc46-11df-a9e7-7590f0316edd

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 9:04    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Mijnenjager Makkum vindt Duitse onderzeeboot
Nieuwsbericht | 13-11-2017

Zr. Ms. Makkum heeft 8,5 mijl uit de kust van Cap Barfleur (Normandië) het wrak gevonden van een Duitse onderzeeboot uit de Eerste Wereldoorlog. Het gaat hoogst waarschijnlijk om het wrak van de UC-69, die in 1917 zonk na een botsing met een andere Duitse onderzeeboot, de U-96.

De vondst dateert al van eind oktober, maar nu pas is bekend welk wrak het precies is.

De UC-69 vertrok op 4 december 1917 uit Zeebrugge om mijnen te leggen op de vaarwegen van en naar de Franse havenstad Cherbourg. Op 6 december 's avonds om ongeveer 20.00 uur werd de onderzeeboot per ongeluk geramd door U-96 die op weg was naar huis. 18 bemanningsleden inclusief commandant Oberleutnant zur See Hugo Thielmann konden nog overstappen op de U-96. De Duitse onderzeeboot zonk binnen 10 minuten, 11 bemanningsleden met zich meenemend. Op het moment dat de boot de zeebodem raakte, ontploften de boegtorpedo's.

Lees verder op https://www.defensie.nl/actueel/nieuws/2017/11/13/mijnenjager-makkum-vindt-duitse-onderzeeboot
Zie ook http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=35112

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 20:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

T. E. Lawrence - DECEMBER 4, 1916

“Suddenly Feisal asked me if I would wear Arab clothes like his own while in the camp. I should find it better for my own part, since it was a comfortable dress in which to live Arab-fashion as we must do. Besides, the tribesmen would then understand how to take me. The only wearers of khaki in their experience had been Turkish officers, before whom they took up an instinctive defence. If I wore Meccan clothes, they would behave to me as though I were really one of the leaders; and I might slip in and out of Feisal’s tent without making a sensation which he had to explain away each time to strangers. I agreed at once, very gladly; for army uniform was abominable when camel-riding or when sitting about on the ground; and the Arab things, which I had learned to manage before the war, were cleaner and more decent in the desert … I felt that I had better get back to Yenbo, to think seriously about our amphibious defence of this port, the Navy having promised its every help. We settled that I should consult Zeid, and act with him as seemed best. Feisal gave me a magnificent bay camel for the trip back.”

Events of 4 December 1916 as recounted by T. E. Lawrence in Seven Pillars of Wisdom (1926).

Lawrence’s days and nights in camp with Feisal’s army at Nakhl Mubarak would bring only three hours’ sleep amid all the “constant alarms and excitements”. But it was also during this encounter that Feisal suggested he adopt Arab dress, a move that in later years would help seal his fame as the legendary “Lawrence of Arabia”.

http://www.telsociety.org.uk/4-december-1916/

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 20:45    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Twaalf uur slapen op de scopolamine - Een frontsoldaat verliest zijn verstand.
VK - 4 december 2015

Hongarije, 4 december 1916 - Het was na drie uur toen de onderofficier Dehm de infanterist Kristl bracht; hij zou in het gevecht veel moed getoond, maar daarna plotseling zijn verstand verloren hebben. Sommigen geloofden, dat hij alleen simuleerde, om eindelijk onder de krijgsdienst uit te komen; maar je hoeft geen arts te zijn om hier de echtheid van de verwarring te zien.

Oneindige angst vertekent het hoekige, bleke gezicht; nu eens probeert hij te ontkomen aan de onderofficier, dan weer klampt hij zich vast aan zijn arm. Bij mijn bevel gaat hij, slaperig lachend, in de houding staan, maar wordt direct weer opgewonden; plotseling valt hij op zijn knieën en smeekt met gevouwen handen, dat ik hem toch niet aan de Russen uitlever. Daarbij rukt hij zijn uniformjas en hemd omhoog, pakt zijn borstzakje en neemt er drie goudstukken uit, die wil hij mij geven.

Ja, treurig, treurig is hij toegetakeld, iemand heeft hem in zijn linker zij gestoken, het bloedt nog steeds. Hij rukt zijn hemd nog verder omhoog en wijst op een vermeende wond.

De toestand van deze man brengt je in verlegenheid. Op zoek in mijn spullen vond ik ten slotte een paar ampullen met opgeloste scopolamine. Kristl verzette zich nauwelijks tegen de inspuiting. De anders zo weinig houdbare samenstelling werkte direct; gedurende twaalf uur zal hij niet wakker worden.

Hans Carossa (1878-1956), Duitse arts en schrijver. Ingekort fragment uit Roemeens oorlogsdagboek; vertaling Alfred Krans. Aspekt, 2015.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/twaalf-uur-slapen-op-de-scopolamine~b0d7efdf/

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 20:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Met Pak en Zak, het lied der weggevoerden
Uit ‘Ham tijdens Wereldoorlog I’, door Dirk Bertrands, Gaston Janse, Gerebernus Geerinckx, Ham 2014

Op 4 december 1916 vertrokken heel wat opgeëiste Hammenaren voor verplichte arbeids-dienst naar Duitsland of Gouvy. Veel meer dan lijdzaam verzet kon men niet bieden. Eén uiting daarvan was ‘Het Lied der Weggevoerden’ of ‘Met Pak en Zak’, een tekst van meester Hubert Valkenborghs op een gekende wijze.

Klikt gezwind door en zingt mee uit vollen borst! https://docplayer.nl/58640615-Met-pak-en-zak-het-lied-der-weggevoerden-op-4-december-1916-vertrokken-heel-wat-opgeeiste-hammenaren-voor-verplichte-arbeidsdienst-naar-duitsland-of.html

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 20:52    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Belgische vluchtelingen in de gemeente Roermond

(...) In november 1914 stabiliseerde het front in Frankrijk zich. Voor veel Belgen betekende dit dat ze naar hun huizen, althans wat er van over was, konden terugkeren. Op 1 maart 1915 zond burgemeester Sanders een brief aan alle nog aanwezige vluchtelingen met de mededeling: ‘Natuurlijk staat het U vrij niet naar dat vluchtoord te gaan, doch in dat geval zal alle steun van Rijkswege ophouden den 5en Maart a.s.’. De 167 vluchtelingen die er in april nog waren, moesten dus in hun eigen onderhoud voorzien. Uitgezonderd hiervan waren hoogzwangere vrouwen met hun gezinnen, zieken en ontheemde kinderen. Zij ontvingen wel nog steun. Bedelarij en vrouwen die uit armoede hun lichaam verkochten, kwamen volgens politierapporten relatief vaak voor. Om deze uitwassen tegen te gaan verzocht burgemeester Sanders de regering regelmatig om meer middelen.

De Roermondenaar merkte wel degelijk iets van de oorlog. De kranten stonden er vol van, er waren strenge grenscontroles en het garnizoen was in staat van paraatheid. Uiteraard bracht de aanwezigheid van de Belgische vluchtelingen het leed tot in de huiskamers. De vluchtelingen verdwenen in december 1915 uit Roermond. Lambertus Koninkx begeleidde de laatste Belgen naar het vluchtoord te Uden op 4 december 1915. De oorlog duurde nog bijna drie jaar, waarna het puinruimen in met name België en Frankrijk kon beginnen.

https://www.roermond.nl/4/150jaar/Belgische-vluchtelingen.html

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 20:56    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Nederland in WOl: PERSVRIJHEID?

(...) In Nederland is geen sprake van censuur, maar redacteuren en journalisten zijn voorzichtig en leggen zichzelf een vorm van zelfcensuur op. Bovendien kunnen ze door de overheid worden vervolgd op grond van wetsartikelen 98 en 100: het openbaar maken van staatsgeheimen en het in gevaar brengen van de neutraliteit van Nederland. De Nederlandse overheid grijpt meestal niet in, omdat persvrijheid hoog in het vaandel staat. Maar op 4 december 1915 wordt hoofdredacteur Schröder gearresteerd omdat De Telegraaf met de anti-Duitse berichten en de tekeningen van Louis Raemaekers de Nederlandse neutraliteit in gevaar zou hebben gebracht. Er volgt een proces, maar omdat de rechtbank oordeelt dat niet valt vast te stellen of de Nederlandse neutraliteit daadwerkelijk in gevaar is gebracht, wordt Schröder vrijgesproken.

Tijdens zijn verdediging in de rechtbank stelt Schröder dat de neutraliteit de Nederlandse pers monddood heeft gemaakt. Het is echter duidelijk dat de Nederlandse regering journalisten niet kan dwingen om neutraal over de oorlog te schrijven.

http://www.eerstewereldoorlog.nu/tijdlijn/propaganda-en-beeldvorming/

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 20:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Edith Louisa Cavell (Swardeston, Norfolk, 4 december 1865 - Brussel, 12 oktober 1915)...

... was een Britse verpleegster die door een Duits vuurpeloton tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog in België werd gefusilleerd.

Lees verder op https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Cavell

Hieruit nog een heerlijk zinloos weetje: Na Cavells gewelddadige dood werd Édith een populaire voornaam voor meisjes in Frankrijk en België; Édith Piaf is de bekendste van hen.

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2018 21:02    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letters from Tsar Nicholas to Tsaritsa Alexandra - December 1915

Telegram. Stavka. 4 December, 1915 - We have arrived safely; are remaining in the train. As his temp. rose to 39, 1 decided to return home at once. I am leaving to-day at 3; hope to arrive to-morrow at 11 in the morning. He slept fairly well, is cheerful; the bleeding is considerably reduced; seldom coughs. Hearty thanks for letter. Both kiss you. Nicky

Telegram. Stavka, 4 December, 1915 - Thank God, he is better now, Temp. 37-5. The bleeding has stopped, though it might easily begin again from moving or coughing. He has no headache. Eats, on the whole, well. I shall telegraph in the evening. Warmest thanks for second dear letter. I am so glad that I shall soon see you at home. Nicky

Telegram. Vitebsk. 4 December, 1915 - Has spent the second half of the day well. At 8 o'clock the temp. was 38-11. In excellent spirits, and rather astonished at our going home. Please let there be nobody on the station to-morrow. Both kiss you fondly. Nicky

NOTES: According to Gilliard, the journey was "agonising." The train had to be stopped several times in order that the dressings might be carefully renewed. The boy had two attacks of syncope during the night, but towards the morning there was a slight improvement. He was taken to the palace with infinite precautions, and the wound was cauterised. It was on this occasion that the Tsaritsa attributed her son's escape from death to the timely presence of Rasputin

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/letters/december15.html

"I don't aim to offend."
- Billy Connolly
Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2
Pagina 2 van 2

Ga naar: