Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hťt WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privť berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privť berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

3 Februari
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Feb 2014 17:00    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letter from Patrick Langford Beazley to Piaras Bťaslai, 3 February 1916

Rudgrave Square
Egremont
Cheshire
3rd February 1916
My dearest Pierce
I hope you are quite well and that everything is going well with you. We are quite well thank God but have no news. We have no visitors now. Dr. Walsh has dropped off, coming only at long intervals and Carey comes only in the shape of occasional letters. It looks as if this regulation restricting paper supplies will tell greatly against the newspapers.
I don't know yet how it will work out. I suppose the daily papers, including the evening sheets will be best off, as being best able to press their case. The wealthier will probably have to play a very small second fiddle. I see that the Freeman has already dropped the Sunday edition and come down to three sheets. I am afraid the outlook for extra work is not encouraging. However keep up your heart. If any convenient and fairly comfortable post were within reach I think you ought to try and get it. When times become more flourishing you will be able to choose your own course according to your taste. I feel very anxious lest you should be in want of money. Don't let anything prevent you from telegraphing or at any rate writing if you do. I enclose a one pound note which will be useful. Do send a couple of words acknowledging it. The air-raid has caused a good deal of talk here but of course people were not alarmed. The raiders did not come very near Liverpool.
With fondest love from mother and myself,
Ever affectionately,
Father

http://dh.tcd.ie/letters1916/diyhistory/items/show/206

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Feb 2014 20:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Speech on Behalf of the IWW: Boston ó February 3, 1918
by John J. Ballam

Mr. Chairman and Fellow-workers:
After I get through speaking I have something to say about another subject than the one we are speaking about today that will be of infinitely more importance than the subject under discussion, to get at the root of the matter we are trying to get at. I wonít need everybody but all those interested sincerely, vitally interested to the point where they too will be willing to go to jail when the call comes for them to go. I want those men and women to stay when I finish speaking. I know you are tired and the hall is cold and this has been a long, drawn-out meeting, but if you have that spirit and if you are willing to help out I have a proposition I want to put to you. So I want those of you who can stand a little cold and discomfort to stay a while longer than most and then hear what I have to say to them.

PDF'je. Lees verder op http://www.marxists.org/history/usa/unions/iww/1918/0203-ballam-speechforiww.pdf

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2
Pagina 2 van 2

Ga naar: