Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

29 Januari

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 29 Jan 2006 0:21    Onderwerp: 29 Januari Reageer met quote

Die Nachrichten vom 29. Januar

Erstürmung einer russischen Stellung bei Bolimow
Ein "Parseval" nicht zurückgekehrt
Rückzug der Russen von den Karpathenpässen
Die türkische Offensive in Armenien

Eroberung französischer Stellungen bei Neuville und an der Somme
Zwei englische Transportdampfer im Mittelmeer versenkt
Ein russisches Fliegergeschwader an der Strypafront vertrieben

Die Vergeblichen französischen Sturmangriffe auf Höhe 304 -
Erfolg der osmanischen Truppen an der Zlota Lipa
Bericht des Generals v. François über die Kämpfe auf dem westlichen Maas-Ufer
32 Fahrzeuge durch drei deutsche U-Boote versenkt
Eine Erfolgreiche Unternehmung am Doberdo-See
Der englische Hilfskreuzer "Laurentic" gesunken

Die italienischen Angriffe zwischen Asiago und Brenta gescheitert
Luftangriff auf London
Zwei englische U-Boote vernichtet
Revolution in Finnland

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 29 Jan 2006 0:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

anuary 29

1915 German lieutenant Erwin Rommel leads daring mission in France

On January 29, 1915, in the Argonne region of France, German lieutenant Erwin Rommel leads his company in the daring capture of four French block-houses, the structures used on the front to house artillery positions.

Rommel crept through the French wire first and then called for the rest of his company to follow him. When they hung back after he had repeatedly shouted his orders, Rommel crawled back, threatening to shoot the commander of his lead platoon if the other men did not follow him. The company finally advanced, capturing the block-houses and successfully combating an initial French counter-attack before they were surrounded, subjected to heavy fire and forced to withdraw.

Rommel was awarded the Iron Cross, First Class, for his bravery in the Argonne; he was the first officer of his regiment to be so honored. “Where Rommel is, there is the front,” became a popular slogan within his regiment. The bravery and ingenuity he displayed throughout the Great War, even in light of the eventual German defeat, led to Rommel’s promotion through the ranks of the army in the post-war years.

In May 1940, Erwin Rommel was at the head of the 7th Panzer Division that invaded France with devastating success at the beginning of the Second World War. Promoted to general and later to field marshal, he was sent to North Africa at the head of the German forces sent to aid Hitler’s ally, Benito Mussolini. Known as the “Desert Fox,” Rommel engineered impressive victories against Britain in Libya and Egypt before his troops were decisively defeated at El Alamein in Egypt in 1943 and forced to retreat from the region.

Back in France to see the success of the Allied invasion in June and July 1944, Rommel warned Hitler that the end of the war was near. “The unequal struggle is nearing its end,” Rommel sent in a teletype message on July 15. “I must ask you immediately to draw the necessary conclusions from this situation.”

Suspected by Hitler of conspiring against him in the so-called July Plot, Rommel was presented with an ultimatum: suicide, with a state funeral and protection for his family, or trial for high treason. Rommel chose the former, taking poison pills on October 14, 1944. He was buried with full military honors.

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Hauptmann

BerichtGeplaatst: 29 Jan 2006 12:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

29-31. German Zeppelins bomb Paris and towns in England.

http://www.wwiaviation.com
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Hauptmann

BerichtGeplaatst: 29 Jan 2006 13:29    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Vandaag in de kranten in Oostenrijk:

http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?apm=0&datum=19150129&zoom=2
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?apm=0&datum=19160129&zoom=2
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?apm=0&datum=19170129&zoom=2
http://anno.onb.ac.at/cgi-content/anno?apm=0&datum=19180129&zoom=2
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 18:11    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Charles Higgins Letter from Trier, Germany and printed in the "Emmetsburg Democrat", Emmetsburg, Palo Alto Co., Iowa, 29 January 1919

Dear Cousin Carl:

Well, here I am in the poor house at last. There is some paper I secured at the home for the destitute at Trier where we stayed for a few days. The members of our company were billeted there. A few of us had rooms in a
private house. The people treated us fine. They invited us to supper Christmas eve and dinner on Christmas day and coffee drinking, as they call it, last night. There are four girls in the home ranging from 17 to 23 years of age. They are fine cooks. They sang for us and they asked us to return the compliment. As luck would have it, the other boys who are with me had some talent in that line, so we got out pretty well.
We have not received any letters for about three months. We get our mail in bunches. My Christmas package has not yet arrived but a letter from home states that it was sent.
I see by a copy of the Ayrshire Chronicle dated November 7, which came a few days ago, that they had a big celebration at home. The article said, in the large head lines, that the armistice was signed at 3 o'clock that day.

My companions kidded me about the item. Many of our company went down to death after that date. We were bringing ammunition up to the batteries that forenoon. I thought my time had come but the enemy had other soldiers' numbers. One of the young men I came over with was killed on the truck ahead of me and six others were wounded.
The second day I went to the front at Chateau Thierry we picked up a couple of lads who had been hit by shells just in front of us. One had his leg shot off above the knee. I took my belt and put it around the limb to keep him
from bleeding to death. When we reached the dressing station we carried him in. As we were leaving, he requested us not to forget his helmet, but I guess the poor fellow did not live to wear it again. We had to move dead horses to get through the lines. That was my first day's experience on the Chateau Thierry front.
Reports say that we shall soon be going home as the second army is coming up to relieve us. We are about twenty miles from Coblenz. We stayed there three days. It is a place of 85,000.

http://iagenweb.org/greatwar/stories/Higgins_Charles-letter.htm

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 18:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

1919: The 40-hours strike

On 29 January 1919, after a rally of strikers in Glasgow and a march to George Square, a deputation from the CWC managed to secure a meeting with the Lord Provost of Glasgow. At this meeting the strike leaders requested that the Lord Provost ask the Council to compel employers to grant workers a 40-hour week. The Lord Provost was unable or unwilling to give the deputation a reply to their question without consulting colleagues, and asked them to return on 31 January when he assured them he would be able give them a reply.

Het hele artikel is te lezen op http://libcom.org/history/1919-the-forty-hours-strike

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 18:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

WW1: Experiences of an English Soldier

Jan 29/1/18
32507/9th Batt Y &L
C Company
12 Platoon L.G.S.
IEF
Dear Jack
I have received your long letter and tin of salmon which was very good. I was sorry to hear the bad news about Uncle and Jack Bonser. I did not know he was died but I heard he was wounded very bad. I was glad... (turn over)... to hear that you and Kate went to the funeral it was the least you could do. I am also pleased Mrs Higgins liked the letter which I wrote. We are on that part of the line you seen in the paper and it is quite true except for the long march after but they left the rum bottle out which they never forget to take .... (new page..) ... Their is five or six parts of the river they have to cross before they get to the other side it is very wide and the farthest away from the enemy I have been when in the front line. I have not had the job yet but might get it any time a fighting patrol mostly as a lewis gun and three or four of the team...(turn over ...) with them our batt as had no luck yet, mostly get spotted. I was pleased you found Willie and Connie alright, but we can except (expect?) dad being bad I think he has been very lucky I hope he gets better. I hope the war is finished before you have to come out their are plenty of younger men.
Write as soon as possible.
With Love from
Harry

This is a strange letter that doesn't quite make sense. I've indicated the ends of pages so that the reader can make their own judgement as to any interpretation. I wonder whether there's a page missing or the rum bottle that was "left out" has something to with it. I hope the latter!

According to the Battalion's War Diary, Harry was in the front line when he wrote this. I suspect it was a bit calmer than the front line in Flanders.

http://wwar1.blogspot.com/2008/01/letter-to-jack-29th-january-1918.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 18:25    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Commons Sitting, 29 January 1918

MENTION IN DISPATCHES.

HC Deb 29 January 1918 vol 101 c1435 1435

Major KERR-SMILEY asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether he will sympathetically consider the granting to non-commissioned officers and men who have been mentioned in dispatches the right to wear a distinctive ribbon, also a star or other distinctive mark for each subsequent mention?

Mr. MACPHERSON After sympathetic consideration, it has been found that, the adoption of the suggestion of my hon. and gallant Friend would not be practicable.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1918/jan/29/mention-in-dispatches

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 18:27    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Christchurch Press 1918-January

Tuesday 29 January 1918

Roll of Honour -

SCOTT - killed in action January 7th George Ellis loved 2nd son of A. L. Scott, Pigeon Bay. in his 26th year.

VERRALL - Victor Edward Verrall, of Swannanoa, ------- wounded in France died in London January 21st ----- aged 40 years

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh/1870-1908/1918.January.PRESS.BMD.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 18:37    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution

Amendment XVIII (the Eighteenth Amendment) of the United States Constitution, along with the Volstead Act (which defined "intoxicating liquors" excluding those used for religious purposes and sales throughout the U.S.), established Prohibition in the United States. Its ratification was certified on January 16, 1919. It is the only amendment to the Constitution that has been repealed (by the Twenty-first Amendment) (1933).(...)

The House of Representatives initially passed the resolution calling for the Amendment on December 17, 1917. It was officially proposed by Congress when the Senate passed the resolution the next day, December 18. Ratification was completed on January 16, 1919, when thirty-six of the forty-eight states then in the Union had ratified it. On January 29, acting Secretary of State Frank L. Polk certified the ratification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2010 19:31    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Koningin Wilhelmina - vorstin in oorlog (1914 - 1918)

Vrijdag 29 januari: Koningin Wilhelmina reist ’s middags per auto naar Amsterdam. Als eerste gaat zij naar een tentoonstelling van oudheden en schilderijen, ten bate van het Algemeen Steuncomité. Daarna gaat de vorstin naar de Prinsengracht om daar de schilderes Thérèse Schwartze te bezoeken en met haar thee te drinken. De kunstenares heeft menig schilderij van HM op haar naam staan.

Lees verder op: http://www.wereldoorlog1418.nl/wilhelmina-in-oorlogstijd/wilhelmina-1915/index.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 17:31    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Quotes by Piet Mondrian

- It is clear to me that this is art for the future. Futurism, although it has advanced beyond naturalism, occupies itself to much with human sensations. Cubism – which in its content is still too much concerned with earlier esthetic products, and thus less rooted in its own time than Futurism – Cubism has taken a giant step in the direction of abstraction, and is in this respect of its own time and of the future. Thus in its content it is not modern, but in its effect it is.
* quote from a letter to the Dutch art critic and buyer of Mondrians paintings, H. P. Bremmer Paris 29 January 1914; as quoted in “Mondrian, -The Art of Destruction”, Carel Blotkamp, Reaktion Books LTD. London 2001, p. 77

- You write you could never be a Theosophist. Well I suppose I could say the same thing, if you’re referring to what most theosophists are. But that does not alter the fact that I believe that the principles of theosophy are true, and that it leads to clarity in one’s spiritual development. Which means that we (Mondrian and the Catholic painter and his former teacher Schelfhout, after their reconciliation, fh) quite agree on this point. Self-awareness is, in my view, of crucial importance to all human beings. I can understand how the Catholic doctrine may lead to vagueness, but Theosophy, which is a spiritual science, can never do so.
* quote from a letter to the Dutch artist Schelfhout, Paris 29 January 1914; as quoted in “Mondrian, -The Art of Destruction”, Carel Blotkamp, Reaktion Books LTD. London 2001, p. 75

- For when I construct lines and colour combinations on a flat surface, it is with the aim of portraying ‘universally beauty’ as consciously as possible. Nature (or that which I see) inspires me, provides me – as it does every painter – with the emotion by which I am moved to create something, but I want to approach the truth as closely as possible, abstracting everything until I come to the foundation – still only an outward foundation! – of things. It is for me a clear truth that one does not want to say something ‘specific’, it is then that one says what is most specific: the truth (which is of great universality
* quote from a letter to the Dutch art critic and buyer of Mondrians paintings, H. P. Bremmer, Paris 29 January 1914; as quoted in “Mondrian, -The Art of Destruction”, Carel Blotkamp, Reaktion Books LTD. London 2001, p. 81

- I believe that it is possible by means of horizontal and vertical lines, constructed ‘consciously’ but not ‘calculating’, guided by a higher intuition and brought to harmony and rhythm – I believe that these fundamental esthetic shapes – where necessary supplemented by lines in other directions or curved lines, make it possible to arrive at a work of art which is as strong as it is true. For anyone who sees more deeply, there is nothing vague about this; it is only vague for the superficial observer of nature. And ‘chance’ must be as far removed as ‘calculation’. And for the rest it seems to me that it is necessary to keep breaking off the horizontal or vertical line: for if these directions were not countered by others, they would themselves come to signify something ‘specific’ and thus human.
* quote from a letter to the Dutch art critic and buyer of Mondrians paintings, H. P. Bremmer Paris 29 January 1914; as quoted in “Mondrian, -The Art of Destruction”, Carel Blotkamp, Reaktion Books LTD. London 2001, p. 81

- And finally I must tell you that I was influenced (in Paris 1912/13, fh) by seeing the work of Picasso, whom I ‘greatly’ admire. I am not ashamed to speak of his influence, for I believe that it is better to be receptive to correction than to be satisfied with one’s own imperfection, and to think that one is O so original! Just as so many painters think – And besides, I am surely totally different from Picasso, as one is generally wont to say.
* quote from a letter to the Dutch art critic and buyer of Mondrians paintings, H. P. Bremmer Paris 29 January 1914; as quoted in “Mondrian, -The Art of Destruction”, Carel Blotkamp, Reaktion Books LTD. London 2001, p. 81

http://www.quotes-famous-artists.org/piet-mondrian-famous-quotes

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 17:33    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Gustave Douchy

Capitaine Gustav Douchy was a French military officer who served in both World Wars. He was a flying ace in World War I, credited with nine confirmed aerial victories.

(...) Gustav Douchy was conscripted on 27 November 1913. He was assigned to aviation, and passed through a couple of different units before being stationed at Nancy as an airplane mechanic on 29 January 1914.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Douchy

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 19:30    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

They Mounted up as Eagles (A brief tribute to the South African Air Force)
by Major D.P. Tidy

(...) Six of the original group of military pilots were appointed probationary lieutenants, and were chosen to undergo further training in Britain, as officers of the South African Defence Force. They were Van der Spuy, Creed, Williams, Turner, Wallace, and Emmett. Van der Spuy became South Africa’s first qualified military pilot on 2 June 1914, and Creed, Turner, and Wallace followed. These four were asked early in 1915 to organize the South African Aviation Corps (SAAC), the formation of which was promulgated by Government Notice No 130 dated 29 January 1915, published in the Government Gazette of 5 February 1915. Emmett also qualified and later became a Group Captain in the Royal Air Force (RAF). (...)

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol056dt.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 19:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Waterford News - 29th of January 1915

Mrs. Harris, of 45 Poleberry, Water ford, has received some interesting letters from her sons, Sergeant Benjamin Harris, Royal Irish Regiment, and Sergeant James Harris, of the Irish Guard (Second Division), both of whom went out with the Expeditionary Force at the out break of the war. The first-named has been a prisoner of war in Germany for some time, and the later is still fighting at the front with the Irish Guards.

Sergeant Harris, of the Guards, in the course of his letters, mentions the names of several Waterfordmen whom he met a the front. Constable Shortall, of Ferrybank, who also went out with the Irish Guards at the commencement of the war was, he said, "the first man of ours to be wounded; he was hit on the left knee with the cap of a shell. In the course of another letter he states that he met Richard Harrison, of the Irish Guards, son of Sergeant-at-Mace Harrison, and Mr. Jack Mitchell, son of Mrs. Mitchell, Bath st. who was well-known in rugby and association football circles in Waterford previous to joining the army. The latter has been given a commission as Second Lieutenant. In one of his letters Sergt. Harris states :-"I have seen some of the British papers, and they give a very good i dea of what is going on. Thanks very much for the parcels of cigarettes and coffee, which I received all right. The coffee is the very thing I want out here, so you might send me an occasional tin when you think of it. It is very handy when you are in the trenches. Whatever chance we have of getting hot water, we have no chance of getting tea. I was speaking to Jack Mitchell yesterday. He is a sergeant now (has since been promot- ed second lieutenant) and is in our division. We were talking for a long time, all about Waterford. I suppose you read in the papers that we had a bit of a hard time We lost a lot of men The Germans charged us one day. They came in batches of about fifty; we cut up about twelve batches of them before we retired, and when we retired they got their artillery on us and shelled us, dropping about thirty shells a minute. It was something terrible to see the men getting killed and wounded, but I was one of the lucky birds." In a another leter he states:- "We are keeping the blokes on the move. We are in a position now seven days. We are opposed by about 3000 Germans, but we are giving them hell. The place is like the Park on a hot day with all the fellows lying about dead."

THE GERMAN PRISONERS AT TEMPLEMORE. Some forty or fifty German prisoners, officers in the army who have been interned in Templemore for some months past, took their departure in a southerly direction. It is stated on very good authority that number of other prisoners of war will take their places in a few days. Something like 2,000 Germans are at present occupying the military barracks at Templemore in addition to a detachment of the Leinster Regiment who are in charge of them.

ARMY COMMISSIONS.
Intimation has been received that Mr Cooper Briscoe, son of Mr C. H. Briscoe Youghal, has received a commission in the army. Dr. Esmonde, M.P. for North Tipperary has received his commission as Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He has been posted to the barracks at Tip- perary, and will take up duty there today. Dr. Esmonde’s eldest son is already Lieut. in the 6th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment, in the Irish Brigade at Fermoy.

CO. WATERFORD VETERAN’S DEATH.
The death has taken place of Patrick O’Brien, a corporal in the Royal Garrison Artillery, now stationed in Plymouth. Deceased was a native of Chapel street, Lismore. During the Boer War deceased was sergeant to the Waterford R.G.A. and did duty at Staddon Heights for nine months, and was awarded a medal for good conduct. Eight members of deceased’s family are serving with the col- ours, as follows :- Patrick O’Brien (son), attached to the R.G.A.; Wm. O’Brien (son), stoker H.M.S. Monarch; Martin O’Brien (son), in the R.F.A. at the front; Cornelius O’Brien (brother), in the R.G.A. ; Watler Mansfield (nephew), in he R.G.A.; Patrick, James, and John Mansfield (nephews), all attached to the Leinster Regiment at the front, Patrick getting two fingers blown off lately in an engagement. Deceased was buried with ull military honours at Plymouth.

CITY POLICE COURT.
Before Ald. Ward, J.P., at the City Police Court this morning , a young man named Thomas Walsh was charged with being a deserter from No. 6 Company of the Royal Garrison Artillery stationed at Carlisle Fort, Co. Cork. He was apprehended yesterday by Sergeant Storey at the house of a man named Thomas Henessy, Peter-street. He was in plainclothes at time and attempted to ....

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/history-heritage/pages-in-history/newspaper-digitisation-pi/1915/letters-fron-the-front/

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 19:36    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

59 Field Company - 1915 – 1919

29th January 1915 – BAILLEFUL.
The NCO’s gave instruction to the Infantry Brigade (Reserve), in the use of hand grenades and trench mortars.

http://historyoutline1915-1918.blogspot.com/2009/10/history-outline-1915-1918.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letters from Tsar Nicholas to Tsaritsa Alexandra - January 1916

Telegram. Vyshki Rwy. 29 January, 1916.

Many thanks for letter yesterday evening. I am very pleased with the inspection. Have seen many troops. My company of Kabardintzi was in the Guard of Honour...

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/letters/january16.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:19    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Maritieme kalender - Welke maritieme gebeurtenissen vonden plaats op welke dag of in welke maand?

29 januari 1914 - De thuisstomende trawler 'Batavier I' (IJM 106) strandt tijdens mist voor de kust tussen Egmond en Wijk aan Zee op een zandbank. Bij de stranding wordt door de trawler zowel roer als schroef verspeeld. De volgende morgen wordt het schip door enkele jutters ontdekt, die hierop de NZHRM in Egmond waarschuwen. Na de lancering van de roeireddingboot stappen zeven mannen over op de boot. Als in de loop van de dag de trawler zware slagzij maakt, verlaten ook de laatste drie bemanningsleden hun schip. Op dezelfde avond strandt vlakbij de 'Batavier I' het Nederlandse stoomschip 'Betsy Anna' (1892), met steenkool onderweg naar Amsterdam. Opnieuw vertrekt de reddingboot naar de strandingsplaats. De 'Betsy Anna' is gestrand in de omgeving van het wrak van een oud Duits oorlogschip. Nadat de reddingboot in zee is gebracht moet zeer voorzichtig worden gevaren om niet met dit wrak in aanraking te komen. De bemanning van de reddingboot slaagt erin om de gehele bemanning van het schip van boord te halen.

29 januari 1916 - Het ss. 'Bandoeng' van de Rotterdamsche Lloyd, op weg van Sabang (Nederlands Indië) naar Rotterdam, onder kapitein N. Huisman, wordt in de Middellandse Zee door de Duitse onderzeeboot 'U 21' beschoten. De thuisreis weer vervolgende loopt het schip op 25 februari bij de Thamesmonding op een mijn, maar kan in drijvende toestand worden gehouden. Na voorlopige voorzieningen te hebben aangebracht vertrekt de gehavende 'Bandoeng' vervolgens op 3 maart vanuit Gravesend naar Rotterdam, daarbij geescorteerd door de zeesleper 'Noordzee' van L. Smit & Co's Internationale Sleepdienst.

29 januari 1916 - Het nieuwe vrachtschip ss.'Thuban' van Van Nievelt, Goudriaan & Co, op weg van Portland Main naar Rotterdam (de eeste thuisreis onder kapitein K. Ree), loopt op de Noordzee bij de Elbow-boei op een mijn, maar kan drijvende worden gehouden. Het schip kan later in de Thames aan de grond worden gezet en aldaar weer voorlopig worden hersteld.

http://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.nl/collectie/maritieme-kalender?j=&m=1&d=29

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

T. E. Lawrence to his family

General Staff - Intelligence Section
General Headquarters
The Force in Egypt
Cairo

January 1916 [possibly 29 January]

A huge scurry this week. I have left writing till too late. Miss Bell went to India yesterday. Have been very busy lately working at the camel-trade in Arabia, and on several other points. Will try and write a letter next week. This week my head has been a compost of wool and pulp; horribly cold weather.

N.

Staff re-organisation ended: we stay as before, but have to do more work: one new man is added: name Deedes.

N.

I don't think I ever told you who "we" are

http://www.telawrence.net/telawrencenet/letters/1916/160129_family.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:43    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

"In Time of 'the Breaking of Nations'"

The title alludes to this passage from the Old Testament: "Thou art my battle ax and weapons of war: for with thee will I break in pieces the nations"

I
ONLY a man harrowing clods
In a slow silent walk
With an old horse that stumbles and nods
Half asleep as they stalk.

II
Only thin smoke without flame
From the heaps of couch-grass;
Yet this will go onward the same
Though Dynasties pass.

III
Yonder a maid and her wight
Come whispering by:
War's annals will cloud into night
Ere their story die

Dated 1915, but first published in the Saturday Review for 29 January 1916. Republished in Poems of War and Patriotism (London: Macmillan, 1916) in the second edition of Moments of Vision.

http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/hardy/poems/breaking.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:48    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Snowy River Men slideshow

The Snowy River Men slideshow is a short presentation which details some of the men who took part in that famous recruitment march. The march commenced at the southern NSW town of Delegate on the 6th of January and culminated at Goulburn on the 29th of January, 1916. A total of 23 days. This video corresponds with a song by Kevin Baker. For those of you who have never heard this song before, it is without a doubt - one of the best musical pieces ever written about the First World War. Kevin was inspired to write these lyrics after reading a letter many decades after the Great War. The letter had been written by 2121 Private Halloran "Hal" ARCHER of Tarcutta to Mrs Elizabeth ALLEN. Her son, 2124 Private Samuel Leslie "Les" ALLEN had been the school teacher in the tiny town of Bibbenluke. Hal and Les had taken part in the march to Goulburn, trained and then embarked together - to end up with the 55th Infantry Battalion on the Western Front. When Les was hit by shellfire, the injuries resulted in his death and Hal was compelled to write a 'painful and difficult' letter to the mother of his dead mate. Without any doubt, the short time that you spend watching this video will inspire you to commemorate the sacrifice and remember the waste of life - of so many young men during World War One. Whilst it focuses on the Men From Snowy River, it could be any young man from any small town - in any country; regardless of origin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z2kjSJ1O8M
Zie ook http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-recruits/recruiting_marches.htm

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 28 Jan 2011 20:54, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:52    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

A Voice of Reason: C.K. Ogden and The Cambridge Magazine

Ogden made his own vigorous contributions to The Cambridge Magazine, although he sometimes used a flimsy disguise. A favourite nom de plume was Adelyne More (“add-a-line more”) and it was under this name that Ogden contributed one of his best known articles for the journal, a bitterly ironic piece entitled “The One Thing Needful” which appeared on 29 January 1916 and was later circulated widely as a pamphlet. The piece begins by reproducing an earlier published letter (1 May 1915) from a young officer in which he berated the old men who were sending the young ones to their deaths: “Just when the younger generation was beginning to take its share in the affairs of the world, and was hoping to counteract the Victorian influences of an older generation, this war has come to silence us.” Adelyne/Ogden responds to the letter and to the conscription campaign which has “once more let loose upon the world that gerontocratic garrulity which seemed for a time to have been shamed into silence by the holocausts of young men” with a suggested bill: “That the age limit for enlistment in His Majesty’s Army be abolished, and that all males between the ages of 45 and 70 be encouraged to volunteer for active service.” With scathing irony the author exclaims: “What fighters some of them would make! The pent-up energies that would be released, the baulked instincts that would find an outlet!” In conclusion she/he addresses the older warmongers directly:

"O ye old and middle aged, for well-nigh two years the young have borne patiently with your howlings, your taunts, your patronage, your generous “giving” of sons, of lives that were not yours to give. If this law cannot be passed, it is but a small thing we ask of you … a moment’s silence now, while the last young men are dragged away.”

http://digitalcollections.mcmaster.ca/case-study/voice-reason-ck-ogden-and-cambridge-magazine & http://digitalcollections.mcmaster.ca/case-study/voice-reason-ck-ogden-and-cambridge-magazine

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:54    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Front page of 'The Worker', the weekly newspaper of the CWC, dated 29 January 1916

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/redclyde/redcly016.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 20:58    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

THE ASHTON TERRITORIALS.THE 9th BATTALION of the MANCHESTER REGIMENT

Published in the Reporter 29th January 1916.

"OUR BEST PAL."

Mrs. John Green, 46, Hamilton Street, Ryecroft, Ashton, Mr. Green, who is the caretaker of the Ryecroft Independent Chapel, received an official notice from the War Office on Friday. The circumstances in which Private 2446 GREEN met his death are described in the following letters received from two of his comrades :- Dated 20/12/1915, "Dear Mr. Green, I can't put into words how much I am sorry and regret to send you a sad and painful letter, but I think it is my duty, and the only thing I can do for my lost, sleeping comrade, and that is your beloved son ALEC, on December 19th. There were about 40 of us ordered to attack and to take a crater which a mine was to blow up. But to our surprise when we got to the Turk's trench there was no crater. When we got into the open the Turks gave us hell with their shells and rifle fire. Then at last the order came along the line to retire. When the order came ALEC got killed along with several others, and it was only with luck that any of us got back safe. It was the artillery and navy that saved us. Your son ALEC went ever to the attack like a hero, and died a hero. I think I can't say any more of your son, only that he was a good pal, and he often spoke of you at home. Yours truly, Private W. THORPE, 1/9th Manchester Regiment. Sadly missed by all his pals."

Lance-Corporal W. SMITH, of A Company 1/9th Battalion Manchester Regiment, who was in charge of the team of bomb throwers, has also sent the following appreciation of his dead comrade:- "Dear Mr. and Mrs. Green, I cannot put it into words how very sorry we all are at losing one of our pals, your son ALEC, and as I am the lance-corporal of the team I think it is my duty to let you know this very sad news of your son's death. It happened on December 19th. The general order was that a mine was going to be blown up, and we had to advance and occupy the crater of the mine. Well, the mine went up, and over we all went, and when we got to the crater there was no hole to get into, so we all lay in the open, and the order came to retire to our own trench. The Turks shells were playing hell all the time. I was one of the last to come back, for it was my duty as corporal to see as many of my men back as possible before I came back myself. I thought they had all got back, so we called the roll, and your son was reported dead. He died a hero, and feared nothing. All our hearts go out to you in your great sorrow." Private GREEN, who enlisted in the 2/9th Manchester Regiment early in October 1914, and went out with the second contingent of the 2/9th Battalion in August last, was a first class bomber, having gained his certificate. On the day he was killed he wrote a cheerful letter to his parents, saying they were going into the trenches, and expected to be relieved on Christmas Eve. He also wrote the same day to his uncle, Mr. James Cocks, Fitzroy Street, Ryecroft, sympathising with him on the death of his wife, adding "We never know how soon we may be called on." Private GREEN, who was a member of the Ryecroft Sunday School and P.S.A., was 26 years old.

http://ashtonpals.webs.com/1916page2.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:01    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Published in the Reporter 29th January 1916.

BULLET PARTED HIS HAIR.

A good example of the soldier in cheeriness and humour is Private 1677 RUPERT RYLANCE, whose parents live at 8. Peel Street, Droylsden. Belonging to the 1/9th Ashton Territorials, whose ranks he joined prior to the outbreak of war, though the lad is only now in his 19th year, he was called up for active service at the start of the conflict. He went through the Dardanelles fighting, and was wounded about the 20th of December in Gallipoli. He was disabled by a shot in the head. The letter written to his parents will illustrate the imperturbable good humour and wit of the youthful patriot. In the communication he is describing how he came by his wounds. "You will be surprised when you know that Jimmy Turk has given me a Christmas box. He has parted my hair on the right side of my head with a bullet. But it is not serious, and nothing for you to worry yourself about. There was no time lost in attending to my wound. I was on a hospital ship next morning." In the letter received by his parents this week he states that he is at a detail camp at Mustapha, Alexandria. In civilian days he was an employee at Messrs. W. M. Christy's Mill, Droylsden, and he is on St. Ann's (Fairfield) Roll of Honour. He and his family are well known in Ashton and Droylsden.

http://ashtonpals.webs.com/1916page2.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:03    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Woodrow Wilson Quotes

Just what is it that America stands for? If she stands for one thing more than another, it is for the sovereignty of self-governing people, and her example, her assistance, her encouragement, has thrilled two continents in this western world with all those fine impulses which have built up human liberty on both sides of the water. She stands, therefore, as an example of independence, as an example of free institutions, and as an example of disinterested international action in the main tenets of justice.
Woodrow Wilson—Speech. Pittsburgh, Jan. 29, 1916.

We want the spirit of America to be efficient; we want American character to be efficient; we want American character to display itself in what I may, perhaps, be allowed to call spiritual efficiency—clear, disinterested thinking and fearless action along the right lines of thought. America is not anything if it consists of each of us. It is something only if it consists of all of us; and it can consist of all of us only as our spirits are banded together in a common enterprise. That common enterprise is the enterprise of liberty and justice and right. And, therefore, I, for my part, have a great enthusiasm for rendering America spiritually efficient; and that conception lies at the basis of what seems very far removed from it, namely, the plans that have been proposed for the military efficiency of this nation.
Woodrow Wilson—Speech. Pittsburgh, Jan. 29, 1916.

http://www.bartleby.com/78/26.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:06    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The first paragraph of an article that appeared in the "Times" on 29 January 1917

http://www.1914-1918.net/nzdiv.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:08    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Battle of Khadairi Bend, 1917

The Battle of the Khadairi Bend was fought as a prelude to the main offensive at the Second Battle of Kut.

Specifically it was intended at undermining Turkish defences sited at the highly fortified Khadairi Bend, positioned in two deep trench lines at the north of Kut in a loop of the River Tigris along the left bank.

British operations were overseen by newly-installed regional Commander-in-Chief Sir Frederick Maude. Maude's plans for undermining Turk defences around Kut were carefully constructed and executed over a period of some months.

British sappers began to dig positions underneath the Turkish lines from 22 December 1916 with the capture of Turkish outposts. Within two weeks they had succeeded in digging to within just 200 metres of the Turks' eastern position.

Following a series of diversionary attacks launched along the Tigris on 7 and 8 January 1917, and preceded by an unusually effective artillery bombardment, a major British assault against the town was initiated by Maude on 9 January.

British progress was good in the face of impressive Turkish opposition. Khadairi Bend itself fell, after heavy fighting (including two concerted Turkish counter-attacks), on 29 January.

With Kut secured the following month Maude briefly paused before continuing onwards to seek the politically spectacular capture of Baghdad, which duly fell in early March.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/khadairibend.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:12    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

François-Auguste-René Rodin (1840 - 1917)

Rodin married his lifetime companion Rose Beuret on 29 January 1917. Rose died three weeks later and Rodin followed shortly, passing away on 17 November 1917. Friends and dignitaries attended Rodin's funeral as he was laid to rest beside Rose at Meudon, with The Thinker at the base of his tomb.

http://www.artistocrats.com.sg/

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Kiev Arsenal January Uprising

Kiev Arsenal January Uprising, sometimes called simply the January Uprising or the January Rebellion (Ukrainian: Січневе повстання), was the Bolshevik organized workers' armed revolt that started on January 29, 1918 at the Kiev Arsenal factory during the Ukrainian-Soviet War.

(...) In the morning of January 29 the representative of the Kievan Council of worker and soldier deputies handed over an ultimatum to the Tsentralna Rada to surrender. In return the Rada requested immediate capitulation of the revolutionaries and by the evening the city engulfed in series of skirmishes. The main forces of the mutaneers were concentrated around the factory, although few separate centers existed in Shuliavka neighborhood (based on the recently liquidated Shuliavka Uprising), Demiivka, and Podil. The revolutionaries managed to overtake the railroad station Kiev-Tovarniy and were moving towards the center of the city through Khreschatyk. The most dangerous were activities in Podil when the mutaneers managed to take the Starokiev police precinct and the hotel Prague which were close to the building of the Tsentralna Rada. The next day, on January 30, the whole city was paralyzed and went on strike, stopped working the utility services and city's transportation. The Rada had no influence over most of the military units many of which decided not to intrude. The Ukrainian government was only supported by the separate platoons of the Bohdaniv Regiment, Polubotko Regiment, Bohun Regiment, a kurin of Sich Riflemen, and the Free Kozatstvo.

Helemaal te lezen op http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev_Arsenal_January_Uprising

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Bombers: Germany, Gotha and Giant

(...) On the night of the 28th-29th of January 1918, after the loss of one Gotha over Britain and four more to crash landings back in Belgium, the Gotha squadrons were withdrawn for reorganization and training. When they became operational again in March they were employed primarily for tactical support during Germany's last great offensive on the Western Front. (...)

http://www.firstworldwar.com/airwar/bombers_gotha_giant.htm
Zie ook http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26016&st=25

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:20    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Public Notice No. 38, Egyptian Expeditionary Force, Occupied Enemy Territory Administration (South)

As from 10th February 1918, the privilege of free postage granted temporarily to the inhabitants of Palestine will be withdrawn and postage must be prepaid on all letters etc., tendered for transmission to "OTHER COUNTRIES".
Letters: Postage will be charged on letters at the rate of 1 Piastre Egyptian for each 20 grams in weight. Turkish money will be accepted at the rate of 1 Piastre and 3 metalliks or 7 metalliks per 20 grams. Turkish notes will not be accepted. Letters addressed to places in Palestine and Egypt will continue to be accepted free of postage. Rates for such letters will, however, be introduced shortly.
Parcels: Particulars of the postage rates for parcels and the conditions under which they will be accepted can be obtained at the Post Offices established for the use of civilians.

29th January, 1918.
[signed:] Ronald Storrs, Lieut. Col., Military Governor.

http://www.zobbel.de/stamp/pal_01e.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Bert's War

Bert Johnston, a farmer's son from Katikati, served in World War One, losing an arm – and almost a leg. He returned home in 1919. Unable to take over the family farm he moved to Tauranga, eventually taking over a plumbing and building supply company.

The Ypres Salient 1917

Between October 1917 and January 1918, Bert Johnston was in the Ypres Salient with the New Zealand Division. He was in the frontline at Bellevue, Abraham Heights and Noordenhoek. He was shelled and badly wounded at Westhoek on 29 January 1918. (...)

But matters weren’t at all smooth for Bert when, on 29 January – a Tuesday - he was shelled and severely wounded, his left arm and right leg shattered. The war diary entry for the 1st Tunnelling Company simply says: “29 January – one killed two OR [other ranks] wounded, enemy shellfire on Westhoek, stairway crumpled and repaired”. We don’t know exactly what happened, but Bert’s daughter believes a shell forced him and his colleagues out of their position and out into the open, where they were hit. It was his best mate (later to become his best man) Ian Hutchison, who saw Bert, picked him out of the mud and carried him to safety.

http://www.katikati.co.nz/kk_text/bert.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:28    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Battle of Kruty

Kruty, Battle of. A battle near Kruty, Nizhyn county, Chernihiv gubernia on 29 January 1918. As a Bolshevik force of about 4,000 men commanded by Mikhail Muravev advanced toward Kyiv, a small contingent of 500 men was hastily organized and sent to the front. It consisted mainly of a company of the Student Kurin of Sich Riflemen (see Student Battalion), a company of the Khmelnytsky Cadet School, and a Haidamaka detachment (see Haidamaka Units of the Army of the UNR). Commanded by Capt Ahapii Honcharenko, this force attempted to block the Bolshevik advance on the capital at Kruty, a railroad station 130 km northeast of Kyiv. In a bitter battle about half of the Ukrainian soldiers were killed, but their resistance delayed Muravev's capture of Kyiv and enabled the Ukrainian government to conclude the Peace Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. The battle is commemorated as a symbol of patriotic self-sacrifice and is immortalized in numerous and publicistic works.

http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/pages/K/R/KrutyBattleof.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:31    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Chailey 1914-1918: Alfred Stringer

Alfred Stringer first appears in Chailey’s parish magazine in a special list of attested men in April 1916. He is noted as medically unfit but this does not appear to have deterred the military authorities from conscripting him into His Majesty’s forces.

According to the three surviving pages of his service record held in the WO 364 pension series at the National Archives in Kew, Alfred was “deemed to have been enlisted” on 16th November 1916. He was then nearly 34 years old and living at 2 Coppards Bridge, Chailey. His trade is given as gardener.

Alongside the question, “Have you any preference for any particular branch of the service, if so, which?” are scrawled the letters, R E (Royal Engineers). Alfred though, was assigned to the Reserve Household Battalion and given the number 1689.

Alfred was five feet seven and a half inches tall and was a married man. He had married Margaret Mackintosh in Bedfordshire on 19th October 1909 and the couple had two children: Doris Annie Stringer (born at Ilkeston, Derbyshire on 9th August 1910) and Eva Maud Stringer (born at West Hoathly, Sussex on Christmas Day 1913).

In January 1917 Chailey Parish Magazine notes that Alfred is attached to the 2nd Lifeguards as a trooper and on May 18th 1917, The East Sussex News reported that “Trooper A Stringer, whose home is at Coppard’s Bridge [Chailey], is in hospital with a wound in the shoulder, received in action.” Chailey Parish Magazine duly reported the fact that he had been wounded the following month and this information was then repeated monthly up to and including May 1918.”

Alfred’s service record notes that he was in England until 23rd February 1917 and thereafter overseas. He received a severe gunshot wound to his shoulder on 3rd May 1917. He was discharged from the army on 29th January 1918 as no longer physically fit for war service.

http://www.chailey1914-1918.net/alfred_stringer.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

15th Poznań Uhlans Regiment

On 29 January 1919, the regiment one again changed its name to 1st Greater Poland Uhlan Regiment (Polish: 1 Pułk Ułanów Wielkopolskich). Two days later Col. Aleksander Pajewski became commander of the regiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th_Pozna%C5%84_Uhlans_Regiment

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:36    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Greater Poland Uprising (1918–1919)

29 January 1919 - Roman Dmowski gives speech in front of Highest Council of Allied Countries in which he asserts Polish rights to the Prussian Partition, and accusing Germans of two-faced policies.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Greater_Poland_Uprising_(1918%E2%80%931919)

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:40    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Volstead Act

The Eighteenth Amendment (ratified 29 January 1919) needed enforcement, and in October 1919 Congress passed the National Prohibition Act, introduced by Representative Andrew J. Volstead of Minnesota. President Woodrow Wilson vetoed the measure on 27 October, but Congress overrode the veto the next day. The act fixed penalties for liquor sales; provided for injunctions against establishments found selling liquor; contained a search and seizure clause; and, oddly, continued the taxation of alcoholic beverages. It permitted the retention of private stocks of liquor bought before the act went into effect, and allowed beer manufacturing, on condition that brewers reduce the alcoholic content to 0.5 percent before sale.

http://www.answers.com/topic/volstead-act-1

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2011 21:44    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Getsurei

Died on the 29th of January 1919 at the age of forty.

Stumble,
fall,
slide down the snow slope.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ddmorris/poetry/poems.html

Naar boven
Tandorini

BerichtGeplaatst: 29 Jan 2011 10:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Op deze dag in 1928 sterft Douglas Haig, generaal en opperbevelhebber van het British Expeditionary Force.

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/wiki/index.php/Douglas_Haig
http://nl.escertico.wikia.com/wiki/Militaria_Wiki
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2014 16:46    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Chronology of the Great War - 29 January 1915

German submarine bombards Walney Island battery at Barrow in Furness

http://www.1914-1918.net/chronology/1915_january.html

Walney Island battery (Barrow-in-Furness) shelled by German submarine (first operation of German submarines in the Irish Sea).

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/timeline/ww1-events-1915.htm

De boosdoener?

SM U-21 (Germany)

She was commanded by Otto Hersing, who stayed with her until the end of the war. On her third war patrol, she sighted the Royal Navy scout cruiser, HMS Pathfinder off the coast of St Abbs Head in Scotland, on 5 September 1914. A single torpedo hit the cruiser's hull causing a boiler explosion which in turn ignited the ship's magazine. Pathfinder sank within four minutes and only 18 of her crew of 268 survived. This was the first ship to be sunk by a submarine-launched self-propelled torpedo - the USS Housatonic had been sunk in 1864 with a spar torpedo, a simple charge fixed to a pole. U-21 was also the first U-boat to enter the Irish Sea. On 29 January she shelled the airship sheds on Walney Island off Barrow-in-Furness, but was driven off by shore batteries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_U-21_(Germany)

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2014 16:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

29 January 1915 - Chasseur Nicolas Jandot, 22eme BCA.

From Montigny, Nicolas was born on 23 January 1883. A reservist at the outbreak of war, he was recalled on 12 August 1914 and, after spending a few weeks at Albertville, he was sent to serve on the Vosges front. Nicolas was killed in action on ‘Cote 766' near Wissembach, Alsace on 29 January 1915 and he has no known grave.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-people/remember-on-this-day/2254-29-january-1915-chasseur-nicolas-jandot.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2014 16:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

A New Conservative Club For Chatteris, Cambridgeshire Times, 29 January 1915

http://chatteris.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/a-new-conservative-club-for-chatteris-cambridgeshire-times-29-january-1915

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2014 16:56    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

WarChron - January 1915

On 29 January, on the Northwest Front in East Prussia, the Russians advanced towards Tilsit.

In southwest Poland, the Germans attacked at the junction of the Russian 1st and 2nd Armies.

On the Southwest Front, there was continued heavy fighting between Dukla and Wyszkov Passes. The Russians were losing ground.

http://warchron.com/germanGasAtBolimov.htm

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 28 Jan 2014 17:04    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Mae West

On Monday, 29 January 1917 in Brooklyn, Mae West was a witness at her younger sister's wedding, which took place on a weekday, Monday, 29 January 1917 in Brooklyn City Hall, not far from the West family's Brooklyn residence.

http://maewest.blogspot.nl/2012/01/mae-west-january-decadence.html

Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: