Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hťt WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privť berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privť berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

28 januari
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 27 Jan 2011 20:36    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Spanish Influenza

On the 28 January 1919 NSW was proclaimed to be infected. Therefore all libraries, schools, theatres, churches, public
halls and indoor entertainment venues were closed. Six days later race courses and hotels were closed and public
transport staff were required to wear masks. By the 2nd April masks became compulsory in universities, libraries, theatres
racecourses and factories.

http://www.qstation.com.au/pdfs/education/40%20Days%20for%20Schools%20Teachers%20Kit%20Stage%204.pdf

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 27 Jan 2014 10:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Securing The Vote for Women - Winnipeg, Manitoba - January 28, 1916

It may be hard to believe, but it is true: Women have never had the right to vote in Canada.

The men in control of the country perceived women as a "weaker sex" needing protection and guidance. Some believed allowing women to vote would only unsettle them and lead to family discord.

Times are about to change. A generation of women - led by dynamos like Nellie McClung, Emily Murphy, Ada Powers, Josephine Dandurand and Elizabeth Smith Shortt -have lobbied, cajoled, heckled, and ridiculed politicians for denying them their rights. They collected petitions, held rallies, and fought to have their voices heard.

In 1916, one government finally listens. Manitoba amends its Election Act granting women the right to vote. Soon after WWI, white women over the age of 21 have the vote federally, and in all provinces except Prince Edward Island (1922) and Quťbec (1940).

Women in the suffrage movement tended to represent the upper classes of society. They argued that women were morally superior to men because of their roles as wives and mothers. Believeing themselves superior, these women viewed themselves as " housekeepers for the nation". Many suffragettes believed that gaining the vote would help women keep Canada committed to Protestant morality and family values. Does this take away from their achievements? Probably not. It's often problematic to impose 21st Century morality on early 20th Century society.

http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/en/timePortals/milestones/13mile.asp

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 27 Jan 2014 10:27    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

A family at war - the diary of Mary Martin

Friday, 28 January, 1916 - This morning I got another letter from Major Whyte dated Jan 14th he had only just received my cable & said he could get no further information about you Also had a letter from Cox & Co Enquiry Office, they said they had no way of getting information about Prisoners of War in Bulgaria & that the names of seven officers prisoners had come through in various ways but that your name was not among them. This makes me more uneasy. I called on Aunt Agnes when in town she asked me to go with her to the American Consul & see if he could get a letter through to you. He said he had no chance of doing so unless we could tell him definitely where you are. But he gave us the name of a man in Holland so I sent a few lines unsealed under cover of this asking to forward it in any way possible I had a conversation with Mrs. Synnott by telephone. She promised if I sent her all particulars to do what she could through the Austrian Ambassadors wife.

http://dh.tcd.ie/martindiary/site/xbrowse.xq?query_stored=false&collection=%2Fdb%2Fmartin%2Fentries&start=1&search_text=-1&type=diaryentry&n=1916-01-28

Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Ga naar Pagina Vorige  1, 2
Pagina 2 van 2

Ga naar: