Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

16 December

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Hauptmann

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2005 7:02    Onderwerp: 16 December Reageer met quote

This Day In History | World War I

December 16

1914 Germans bombard English ports of Hartlepool and Scarborough

At approximately 8 o’clock in the morning, German battle cruisers from Franz von Hipper’s Scouting Squadron catch the British navy by surprise as they begin heavy bombardment of Hartlepool and Scarborough, English port cities on the North Sea.

The bombardment lasted for about one and a half hours, killing more than 130 civilians and wounding another 500. It would unleash a damning response from the British press, which pointed to the incident as yet another example of German brutality. The German navy, however, saw the two port cities as valid targets due to their fortified status.

Two defense batteries in Hartlepool responded to the attacks, damaging three of the German vessels, including the heavy cruiser Blucher. Hipper’s squadron hoped to draw British forces to pursue them across waters freshly laced with mines. Another German fleet, commanded by Admiral Friedrich von Ingenohl, sat waiting offshore to provide support. A major confrontation did not take place, however, as the British decided to keep most of their fleet—depleted by the dispatch of their major cruisers to pursue the dangerous squadron of Admiral Maximilian von Spee—in the harbor.

An attempt by the Scouting Squadron one month later to repeat the tactics used to surprise the British at Scarborough and Hartlepool resulted in the Battle of Dogger Bank, where Hipper’s squadron was defeated but managed to avoid capture.

http://www.historychannel.com
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2005 8:12    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Die Nachrichten vom 16. Dezember

Vergeblicher feindlicher Vorstoß über Nieuport
In Nordpolen 3000 Russen gefangen
Beschießung befestigter englischer Küstenplätze durch deutsche Kreuzer
Der Krieg im Orient
Die Serben in Belgrad

Lebhafte Artilleriekämpfe an der Westfont
Die Höhen von Bjelopolje besetzt

Die Straße Buzau - Rimnicul-Sarat erreicht
Raumgewinn in der Großen Walachei und in der Dobrudscha
Rumänisch-russischer Rückzug in der Dobrudscha

Englische Vorstöße bei Monchy und Bullecourt gescheitert
Der Waffenstillstand mit Rußland unterzeichnet
Beginn der Friedensverhandlungen

www.stahlgewitter.com

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 11:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Scarborough Raid, 16 December 1914

The Scarborough Raid of 16 December 1914 was the most controversial part of the German raid on the Yorkshire coast of 15-16 December 1914. At the time Scarborough was an undefended town, lacking any gun emplacements. The harbour was not suitable for warships, nor was it close to significant military targets. This was not true of the entire Yorkshire coast. To the north the mouth of the Tees and Hartlepool (just inside County Durham) were defended by gun batteries, as was the mouth of the Humber (the ruins of several generals of gun emplacements can still be explored at the tip of Spurn Point).

The Germans believed that Scarborough was also defended by a gun battery, making it a legitimate target under the rules agreed at the Hague Conference of 1907. The rules agreed in 1907 seem to belong to a different era completely to the First World War. Naval commanders could only bombard an open town if it refused a reasonable request for necessary supplies. Even military facilities in a town could only be attacked after the locals had been given a chance to destroy them themselves. In the circumstances of 1914, with two battle fleets undertaking carefully timed operations in the North Sea these restrictions seem utterly unrealistic. The Germans appear to have genuinely believed that the east coast towns would be defended in some ways (during the Second World War they would have been right – Scarborough and Filey were given 6in gun batteries, with some of the guns coming from HMS Lion, Beatty’s flagship at Jutland).

The German attack on Scarborough involved the battlecruisers Derrflinger and Von der Tann, and the light cruiser Kolberg. They appeared off Scarborough just before 8.00 a.m. The Kolberg was sent south east to lay a minefield off Flamborough Head, while the two battlecruisers opened fire on the coastguard station and the yeomanry barracks at 8.00 a.m. They then sailed south east along the coast, firing on the medieval castle on its headland and the Grand Hotel, the most obvious land mark in South Bay, apparently in the believe that this was the location of the non-existent gun battery.

Their next target was a naval wireless station just outside the suburb of Falsgrave (now the site of GCHQ Scarborough). The wireless station was undamaged, but some shells fell short. The two German battlecruisers then sailed north past the town, still firing, before heading around the coast to Whitby. The Kolberg sailed north east from Flamborough head back to the general rendezvous position, east of Whitby.

The attack on the east coast caused outrage in Britain. Part of this was due to the failure of the navy to intercept the German raiders, but much was made of the attack on an open town. Despite a bombardment lasting half an hour, only eighteen people were killed in Scarborough. Further north Hartlepool was much harder hit.

Rickard, J (23 September 2007), Scarborough Raid, 16 December 1914 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/raid_scarborough1914.html

“I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you are not, l hope you have the strength to start all over again.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:42, in toaal 2 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 11:43    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Hartlepool Raid, 16 December 1914

The Hartlepool Raid, 16 December 1914, was the only part of the German raid on the Yorkshire coast of 15-16 December to come up against a defended port. Hartlepool was used as a base by British destroyer flotillas. On 15-16 December two scout class cruisers (Patrol and Forward), four destroyers from the 9th Flotilla (Doon, Waveney, Test and May) and the submarine C 9. The town was also protected by two gun batteries on the headland that overlooks the harbour. In 1914 they contained three 6in rapid firing guns, one in the Lighthouse Battery and two in the more northerly Heugh Battery. In comparison the two British cruisers carried 4in guns while the attack was carried out by two German battlecruisers (Seydlitz and Moltke), armed with 11in guns, and the cruiser Blücher, armed with 8.2in guns.

The destroyers left port at 5.30 a.m., and reported that the swell was too heavy for the cruisers to safely get across the bar outside the harbour. The morning was misty, and at around 8.00 a.m., when the destroyers sighted three ships to their south east they were unable to identify them. When the destroyers closed in, the Germans opened fire, and almost immediately found their range. The destroyers were well outside torpedo range, and so had no choice but to turn north and attempt to escape. In the event skilful manuevering prevented the German heavy guns from scoring any direct hits, but three of the four ships were hit by shell fragments before they escaped back into the mist.

The Germans then turned their attentions to the two gun batteries. By 8.15 Blücher was firing on the Lighthouse battery, while Seydlitz and Moltke moved further north to attack the Heugh battery. All three battery guns survived the battle intact, although their crews lost nine dead and twelve wounded. The fire from the German ships also made it difficult for the British cruisers and the submarine to get out of the harbour. When the Patrol and C 9 did reach the harbour entrance they were faced with a German barrage.

Both responded in the same way, by attempted to burst past the German shell fire at full speed. Patrol was hit twice by heavy shells from Blücher, and ran aground. Four men were killed and seven wounded. C 9 was forced to submerge, before turning north east and heading towards the German ships. HMS Forward was only able to get out after the Germans had already departed.

The 6in guns on land caused more problems than the British ships. According to the Official History Blücher was eventually forced to move north by hits from the Lighthouse Battery, only to come under fire from the two guns in the Heugh Battery. The battlecruisers had already moved north, out of the arc of fire of the Heugh battery. By this point the Germans were already running short of time, and at 8.45 they broke off the bombardment and escaped into the mist.

The bombardment of Hartlepool was the most costly and the most effective during the raid. 86 civilians were killed, and 424 wounded (Official History). Seven churches, ten public buildings, five hotels and more than 300 private houses were damaged, as were the marine engine works in the harbour and three merchant ships in port.

Rickard, J (23 September 2007), Hartlepool Raid, 16 December 1914 , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/raid_hartlepool1914.html
Zie ook http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2009/12/the-bombardment-of-hartlepool.html

“I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you are not, l hope you have the strength to start all over again.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:41, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 11:58    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letter, Clifton Cates to Mother and Sister, 16 December 1918

From the Clifton B. Cates Collection (COLL/3157) at the Marine Corps Archives and Special Collections
OFFICIAL USMC PHOTOGRAPH

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Letter,_Clifton_Cates_to_Mother_and_Sister,_16_December_1918_(page_1_of_3)_(19268929825).jpg
Ook hier: https://www.flickr.com/photos/usmcarchives/19268929825/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:40, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:00    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Kroniek van Baarle in de Eerste Wereldoorlog (1915)

16 december 1915 - Een aantal inwoners van Baarle-Hertog zat zonder “petrol en kolen” omwille van de starre houding van de Nederlandse douane. (Gemeentearchief Baarle-Hertog; 2.073.564 Register van Briefwisseling)

http://www.amaliavansolms.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=188%3A06-kroniek-van-baarle-in-de-eerste-wereldoorlog-1915&catid=90%3Aoorlog&Itemid=118

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:05    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letter from Eleanor "Nora" Saltonstall to her family, 16 December 1918

This letter is written from Eleanor "Nora" Saltonstall (1894-1919) to her family, while she was a volunteer with the Red Cross in France during World War 1, and refers to her having been awarded the "Croix de Guerre".

Rocroi Dec. 16. [1917]
Dear Family,

It amuses me to think of the number of places
that have been my home of late. I am here for
about a week with Katherine Bigelow, the other
chauffeur, and we are working very hard with our
two cars doing evacuation work for the civilians. You
never saw such a dearth of means of transportation --
no train within sixty miles and very few camions
because the army has moved north and there is
very little traffic. The poor people are desperate trying
to get back to their homes -- they all seem to have
been deplaced by the Germans and of course they
are anxious to get back as soon as they can.
Then there are those who are hurrying to see members
of their family from whom they have been separated
during the war, and then there are also the
poor soldiers who are sent away on their permissions
but have no way of getting to the interior -- Result,
naturally, many poor foot passengers on the roads.
Miss Causse, the member of our unit, who is in
charge here, is most awfully good, very conscientious
& Energetic. She has helped a lot in getting the
people straightened out & now she is using us to
get one certain group of people back to their
village which is about 45 miles from here. She is
sensible in not trying to handle the whole problem
and she picks out certain definite things which
she considers within the scope of possibility, then
she goes right at it & accomplishes wonders. I don't
see how this town will Exist without her for
Every question Either of public or private interest
seems to be brought to her to settle. To-day we
had a man & his wife from Brussels lunch with us, quite
swells I imagine because he knew Hoover & Brand
Whitlock, talked good English, & was well enough
acquainted with history to joke with me about the
Mayflower & Plymouth Rock when he heard I came
from Boston -- You might as well be in the wilds as in
this country as far as food in concerned, because
Except for your regular allowance which is Small Enough
it is impossible to get. These people were naturally
delighted to fall upon us, & they ate our corned beef &
cabbage hash as if it were a filet of steak and fried
potatoes. Miss Causse had a plum pudding left over
because on Thanksgiving day she had forgotten to
celebrate, so we regaled them with that & some bad
brandy which was minus alcohol & therefore refused to
burn properly, so that I think they really thought
we were a clever lot to know so well how to take
care of ourselves.
Thursday I went 150 kilometres, Friday 80, Saturday
180 and yesterday 150, so To-day I have spent working
on the car. I never have had such a terrible time because
as the people and Especially the children have nothing to do
they all stand around and watch -- that is bearable
because they get bored & you have usually a breathing
space but this P.M. Miss Causse was distributing clothes.
The mob was black & it was as bad as going to a
Harvard-Yale football game to move from one grease cup
to another. Every time my back was turned a bad
little boy would toot the horn which resulted in my
dashing around the back of the car, scolding &
losing my temper. If I Ever have to work under
such conditions again I have decided that I will let
the car run dry.
I suppose you got the cable about my Croix
de Guerre -- it is all tommy rot, & we all feel silly
about taking them. Agnes & Betty Blakeman got
them for the same thing as I, working under
fire in March (not true). Susan Ryerson Patterson,
Mimi Scott, and Mrs. Parrish also got them,
so you can see that I am far from being alone
in my glory. Mrs. Daly wanted very much to
have her unit decorated and the medicin chef
wanted to show his appreciation of us. Now that
the war is over there is a regular business of
appreciative Croix de Guerre going on because it
is such a simple way of pleasing people. We
had a dinner the night we received them --
there was nothing formal about it, and the
medicin chef did not Even have the courage to
kiss us on both cheeks; the doctors sitting on Either
side of me did it instead so I felt as if it
had been presented in the proverbial French
manner.
I am much too sleepy to write any more
to-night. We start at 7 o'clock To-morrow for Rheims --
as luck will have it we have some families who want
to go there so you may be sure that we jump at
the Excuse.
Much love from,
Nora

Vreemd verschil in jaartallen... https://www.masshist.org/database/2019 &
https://www.masshist.org/database/viewer.php?item_id=2019&img_step=1&mode=transcript#page1

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:38, in toaal 2 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Russo-German Armistice, 16 December 1917

Reproduced below is the text of the preliminary armistice agreed by Bolshevik Russia and Germany in December 1917. This followed a formal statement by Trotsky in late November in which he outlined Russia's intention to seek an early armistice.

Russo-German Armistice, 16 December 1917

Between the representatives of the higher command of Russia on the one hand and of Bulgaria, Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Turkey on the other hand, for the purpose of achieving a lasting and honourable peace between both parties, the following armistice is concluded:

The armistice shall begin on December 17th at 2 o'clock in the afternoon and continue until January 14th. The contracting parties have the right to break the armistice by giving seven days' notice. Unless notice is given the armistice automatically continues.

The armistice embraces the land and aerial forces on the front from the Baltic to the Black Sea and also the Russo-Turkish front in Asia Minor. During the armistice the parties concerned obligate themselves not to increase the number of troops on the above fronts or on the islands in Moon Sound, or to make a regrouping of forces.

Neither side is to make operative any transfers of units.

Source Records of the Great War, Vol. V, ed. Charles F. Horne, National Alumni 1923, http://www.firstworldwar.com/source/armistice_russogerman.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team

The mission of the 1st Special Troops Battalion is to exercise command and control over the separate companies and attachments of 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division during operations. It provides the Brigade Combat Team (BCT) special mission capabilities, and on order plans and executes the BCT's rear area security mission in order to enable the BCT to accomplish assigned objectives. Additionally the Special Troops Battalions provides integration and command and control for units attached from outside the BCT.

The Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team was first constituted on 19 November 1917 in the Regular Army as Headquarters Troop, 4th Division and organized on 16 December 1917 at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont. During the First World War, the unit participated in 5 campaigns as the headquarters of the 4th Division: Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne 1918, and Lorraine 1918. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1921 as Headquarters and Military Police Company (less Military Police Platoon), 4th Division and inactivated on 21 September 1921 at Camp Lewis, Washington.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/4id-1bde-bstb.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:20    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Compiegne 1918 – het Treinstel

(...) Foch gaf de Duitse delegatie 72 uur om met deze voorwaarden akkoord te gaan of ze te verwerpen, tot die tijd bleef de oorlog onverminderd doorgaan. Ontzet verliet de Duitse delegatie het treinstel en bracht ze de eisen over naar Berlijn aan de pas benoemde Rijkskanselier, prins Max von Baden. Na enkele dagen overleg werd in de vroege ochtend van 11 november om 05.15 uur een voorlopige onderbreking van de gevechtshandelingen overeengekomen, ingaande op 11 uur die ochtend, voor een periode van voor 36 dagen, tot dinsdag 17 december 1918. Op maandag 16 december werd deze afspraak met een maand verlengd in het op het hoofdstation van Trier gestationeerde treinstel 2419D, waarna de overeenkomst telkens opnieuw in hetzelfde treinstel verlengd werd: op maandag 13 januari 1919, zondag 16 februari 1919 met als laatste prolongatie op zondag 13 en maandag 14 april 1919 in het Belgische Spa tot ondertekening van het definitieve verdrag in Versailles op zaterdag 28 juni 1919. (...)

http://www.bertvanvondel.nl/compiegne-1918-het-treinstel/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:32, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:22    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Caucasus - Part II: Against the Russians in East Anatolia

(...) The rest of the year 1916 was spent by the Turks with organizational and operational changes in the Caucasian front. Fortunately for the Turkish commanders, the Russians were quiet during this period. The winter of 1916-17 was extremely harsh, which made fighting nearly impossible. This situation did not change during the spring. Meanwhile Russia was in political and social turmoil, which was also influencing the army ranks. The chaos caused by the October Revolution put a stop to all Russian military operations and the Russian forces began to conduct withdrawals. Neither the Russian soldiers nor the Russian people wanted to go on with the war anymore. The Turks on the other hand, could not take advantage of this situation; since their units were not in good shape either. They were under great pressure from the British in Palestine and Mesopotamia, therefore withdrawing the majority of their forces (five divisions) and sending them south. The year 1917 passed by without fighting in the Caucasian front. The Russian army slowly disintegrated until there was no effective military force. The Armistice of Erzincan, signed on 16 December 1917, officially brought an end to the hostilities.

http://www.turkeyswar.com/campaigns/caucasus2.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letters from Percy

Cambridge,
Sunday, Dec 16th 1917

Dear Sister Clytie,

Thanks for your card from Katoomba, which arrived a few weeks ago. Glad to know you enjoyed a nice holiday there, as I’m sure you needed it. Please excuse card, as I have very little time to spare. Viv will have told you that I’m at the O.T.C. Mrs Morgan says Roy is wounded. May see him during Xmas leave, if he is in England. God bless and keep you, Clytie. Best love, Perce

http://www.smythe.id.au/letters/p_4.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:31, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letters from Vern

Mena Camp
Cairo
16/12/14

Dear Isabel,

This is a photo of the Sphinx which is about a mile from the camp. It had no nose now because when Napoleon was here over 100 years ago he fired at the poor old thing with canons and of course it is not so good-looking now as it used to be. But I suppose you know more about these things from your school books, than I could tell you. Our camp is about 8 miles from Cairo, & just near the pyramids, about which I will tell you some other time. You would be very amused if you could be here & see the people & their way of living, which is entirely different to ours. I will have quite a lot to tell you about when I return. I hope you have a lovely Xmas & get plenty of presents from good old Santa Claus. Love from your friend Vernie.

http://www.smythe.id.au/letters/v_8.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:31, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 12:33    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Spaanse Griep in Deurne

De Spaanse griep van 1917-1918 heeft ook in de gemeente Deurne veel slachtoffers gemaakt.

Het hoogtepunt van de Spaanse griep viel in Deurne in de periode november 1918 t/m april 1919. Schommelde het gemiddelde aantal overlijdens in de tien maanden, voorafgaande aan en volgende op deze griepperiode rond de tien (...)

Er mag dus gesteld worden dat er in de gemeente Deurne en Liessel zo'n 45 dodelijke slachtoffers door de Spaanse griep vielen. In de gemeente Vlierden overleden in november 1918 twaalf personen, dat is 2 % van de totale bevolking.

Een van de zwaarst getroffen gezinnen was dat van de weduwnaar Antonius Smits op de Schans in Neerkant. Binnen een week stierven zijn drie oudste kinderen, 21, 16 en 15 jaar oud. Begin november 1918 waren de scholen in Deurne en Vlierden in verband met de griep al gesloten. De heer Van Loon in de Stationslaan, een van de weinige of misschien wel de enige autobezitter van Deurne, stelde zijn auto in verband met de ziekte ter beschikking van de gemeenten Deurne, Vlierden en Someren. De kosten daarvoor nam hij genereus op zich, “exclusief een goede fooi voor de chauffeur”.

Op 16 december 1918 gingen de scholen weer open en beschouwde men de ziekte als geweken. Het hogere sterftecijfer in de daarop volgende maanden geeft een ander beeld. Mogelijk hangt dit samen met de toen heersende voedselschaarste in verband met de juist beëindigde Eerste Wereldoorlog was en vielen laten nog slachtoffers wegens algehele verzwakking. Veelzeggend is in dit verband een aantekening van de burgemeester bij een rantsoentoewijzing aan een drietal gezinnen: Aangezien deze gezinnen wegens ziekte gezinsleden zonder wittebrood niet kunnen zijn, vertrouw ik dat daartegen uwerzijds geen bezwaar zal bestaan.

https://deurnewiki.nl/wiki/index.php?title=Spaanse_griep

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:30, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 15:41    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic (1918–1919)

The Lithuanian Soviet Socialist Republic (LSSR) was an early short-lived Soviet republic declared on December 16, 1918 by the provisional revolutionary government, led by Vincas Mickevičius-Kapsukas. It ceased to exist on February 27, 1919, when it was merged with the Socialist Soviet Republic of Byelorussia to form the Lithuanian–Belorussian Soviet Socialist Republic, commonly referred to as Litbel. While efforts were made to represent LSSR as a state declared and supported by local residents, it was largely Moscow-orchestrated entity to justify the Lithuanian–Soviet War. As a Soviet historian, adhering to official propaganda, put it: "The fact that the Government of Soviet Russia recognized a young Soviet Lithuanian Republic unmasked the lie of the USA and British imperialists that Soviet Russia allegedly sought rapacious aims with regard to the Baltic countries." Lithuanians generally did not support Soviet causes and rallied for their own national state, declared independent on February 16, 1918, by the Council of Lithuania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_Soviet_Socialist_Republic_(1918%E2%80%931919)

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 15:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Percy Toplis @ 15 Dec 2010 12:24 schreef:
Letters from Percy

Cambridge,
Sunday, Dec 16th 1917

Dear Sister Clytie,

Thanks for your card from Katoomba, which arrived a few weeks ago. Glad to know you enjoyed a nice holiday there, as I’m sure you needed it. Please excuse card, as I have very little time to spare. Viv will have told you that I’m at the O.T.C. Mrs Morgan says Roy is wounded. May see him during Xmas leave, if he is in England. God bless and keep you, Clytie. Best love, Perce

http://www.smythe.id.au/letters/p_4.htm

Toplis?

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 15 Dec 2010 16:03    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Nope... echt een heel leuke site. Aanrader!

Edit: Dat was wáár in 2010... en is nog net zo waar in 2019: http://www.smythe.id.au/index.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 13:49, in toaal 2 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2012 2:11    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Diary Entry - 16th December, 1917

The officers all arose at six a.m. as the staff expected an attack and we were to be ready sitting on the triggers. It was very hazy all day and so we took a rest at the guns, having done a fair amount of wandering one way and another in the last few days. After lunch it clears a little so Major, Barrett and self go up to the front crest and have a short joy shoot then we go round the old Hun trenches and find a whopping big 10-inch minnie emplacement. We brought back a sniper's suit of armour which we were all rather taken with as on swinging a pick hard at it we could only raise sparks and did not succeed in denting it.

http://ewmanifold.blogspot.nl/2012/12/diary-entry-16th-december-1917.html

Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 13:27    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

From the archive, 16 December 1918: A new experience
Originally published in the Manchester Guardian on 16 December 1918

There never was, perhaps, outwardly so tame a general election as Saturday's. No motor-cars (to speak of), no gigantic posters hitting you in the eye, hardly any colour, and no excitement at all – altogether, very poor fun. But there was one section of electors to whom, however externally calm, the election must have brought a thrill. The women are said to have voted in crowds, in some London constituencies greatly outnumbering the men, and in their eagerness forming queues at the more populous polling stations, for all the world as though they were out for the impossible butter or meat before the Food Controller took us in hand.

For them, the giving of a vote had all the excitement of novelty; it had much more. Many at least must have been dimly conscious that the experience was momentous, and as they invaded the sacred precincts, from which hitherto they have been so rigidly excluded, sometimes arm in arm with the hitherto privileged male, they must have felt that it was something more than a polling-booth they were entering – that it was a new world.

So there they are, dear creatures, our equals at last in this our most characteristic function as political animals, and destined to assert themselves as never before in our public life and – who can say? – in our social life, in our very homes. We talk of revolutions, yet here is one, perhaps the greatest of all, enacting itself under our very eyes, and we hardly notice it, give it not a cheer, not even the tribute of a little opposition, so ripe were we all the time, without knowing it, for the reform, so natural is it, in this as in so much else, that the woman should be the helpmate in our political home. Yet it took the greatest of all wars to lead us to the discovery.

Some London incidents
The women electors of England on Saturday proved themselves to be a political force whom every future candidate must seriously consider.

The interest of the women voters seemed to be without distinction of class or age. One saw some old grandmother tottering along beside her daughter and granddaughter, as determined and calm as they in facing this new and still almost incredible experience. What most impressed the visitor to many polling-booths was the businesslike way in which most women went about their task. It was evident they had made up their minds whom they were going to vote for. They often looked triumphant and pleased when they came out, like the little old dame who, as she came down the steps of Chelsea Town Hall, said to the party questioners with a smile, "I voted for the lady."

From a woman correspondent

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2010/dec/16/electionspast-electoralreform

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 13:43    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Birmingham Daily Post, Monday 16 December 1918

THE POLLING IN THE MIDLANDS - BIRMINGHAM’S UNEVENTFUL DAY - ENTHUSIASM OF THE WOMEN VOTERS.
The polling in Birmingham on Saturday was as quiet and generally uneventful as if there were no great issues to be decided. Now and again cars displaying party placards were seen in the streets, but, on the whole, there was little or no excitement, and the polling stations, until the last hours, were not unduly crowded. Such was the apathy in some quarters that people who are ordinarily regarded as intelligent had be reminded that they had a duty to perform by registering their vote. Party favours were probably less in evidence than ever before, perhaps a welcome evidence that sectional feeling was forgotten in the desire to back the Coalition as the only national party. Up till ten o’clock some of the polling stations had been visited by less than a score of people, but after noon, when work was over, the presiding officers were kept more busily employed.

One of the most surprising features of the situation was the heavy polling by women in some of the industrial districts. Whilst the electoral campaign was in progress, women were usually in very small minority at candidates’ meetings, but on Saturday they came forward in surprisingly large numbers. At the Montgomery Street booth, in the Sparkbrook Division, for instance, it was estimated that, at five o’clock, women had voted in the proportion of four to one. In the better class districts the ladies, as was expected, took advantage in considerable numbers of their newly-won rights, and there is little doubt that Sir Francis Lowe and Alderman Neville Chamberlain profited largely in Edgbaston and Ladywood Divisions by the extension of the franchise. In some of the other districts it is not easy to say what happened. It should be remembered that Labour politicians are among the keenest, and that they have probably been able to get their womenfolk to second their efforts. In Sparkbrook, Mr. Spires, the Labour and Co-operative candidate, was much indebted to ladies for the support he got, although it is quite true to say that many women co-operators, distrustful of the confiscatory designs of Labour, preferred to support other candidates.

PATRIOTIC SOLDIERS RELATIVES
Soldiers’ mothers and wives were strongly in favour of the Coalition, as far as one could gather. Not that they were satisfied with the present arrangements for pensions and allowances, but they saw more hope for betterment in the return of a patriotic combination of statesmen than in the specious promises of Labour men, which common sense shows cannot be redeemed. Writing of patriotism, one thinks with some amusement of the eleventh-hour conversion of the so-called Progressive candidates in the Yardley Division. Both the Labour and the Liberal candidates, putting them in the order of their standing in the election, were urging in their mural literature that Germany should be made to bear the cost of war. Hitherto the Labour Party especially, has been urging conscription of wealth in this country as a means of meeting war taxation, but in Yardley, at any rate, scruples in favour of “our German brothers” were forgotten at the last moment, and a popular bait was set.

As has been indicated, the surprise of the polling was the number of women voters. As in Ladywood and Edgbaston, so in Moseley and King’s Heath they were strongly in evidence, and Sir Hallewell Rogers was favourite with them. In Aston and Deritend the ladies were less in evidence, but a good many of them visited the stations in the evening with their husbands. A claim to be the first woman in Birmingham to vote for the Coalition is made Mrs. Fanny E. Vince, of Chantry Road, Moseley. She marked her paper at 7 a.m., and was on the scene before the returning officer. In the Duddeston Division of the voters was lady over 90 years of age, but many old women did not choose to exercise their privilege regarding women’s suffrage as a new-fangled innovation.

In the afternoon and evening voting was more brisk, but there was nothing to retrieve the dullness of the day. At the close of the poll the ballot boxes were conveyed from the stations in the eleven divisions in which there were contests to the Council House, those in the outlying districts being collected by motor-bus.

https://www.voicesofwarandpeace.org/2018/12/16/on-this-day-16-december-1918/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 13:44    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Reception of President Woodrow Wilson on his Arrival in Paris, December 16, 1918

Filmpje! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWRnV1y_JTQ

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 13:56    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Arthur C. Clarke

Sir Arthur Charles Clarke (Minehead, 16 december 1917 – Colombo, 19 maart 2008) was een invloedrijk Brits sciencefictionschrijver, uitvinder en futuroloog. Hij behoorde tot de Grote Drie van de SF in de 20ste eeuw, samen met Robert Heinlein en Isaac Asimov. Verder was hij lid van de Royal Astronomical Society, oud-voorzitter van de British Interplanetary Society en lid van de Academy of Astronautics.

Sorry... ik moét hem noemen... https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:31    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Restant Fort Bezonvaux

Dit kleine fort (ouvrage) is tussen 1889 en 1891 gebouwd en zag zware strijd tijdens de slag om Verdun (1916). Het fort werd op 25 februari 1916 ingenomen door het Duitse leger. Op 16 december 1916 heroverden de Fransen de ruines van Bezonvaux.

https://www.tracesofwar.nl/sights/42841/Restant-Fort-Bezonvaux.htm

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:35    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

1916 - Rooms Katholieke Reclasseringsvereniging - Verzuiling en ontzuiling van de reclassering

"Ervaren zielzorgers waarschuwden nadrukkelijk tegen alle opdringen van de godsdienst. Toch weerhield dat ervaren reclasseerders niet in de oude trant 'de werkers in de reclasseringswijngaard' de zorg voor de ziel van de gedetineerde als eerste plicht voor te houden. Dit nu had minister Nelissen op 16 december 1916 reeds het werk van de aalmoezenier en niet van de reclasseerder genoemd. Het leidde tot huichelarij, zo waarschuwde hij: de delinkwenten zullen vroomheid gaan veinzen om de hulp van de reclassering te verkrijgen"
L.J. Rogier, Evolutie der reclassering, 1965, blz. 103

'Bezoeken van gevangenen’ is in de christelijke traditie een van de ‘Zeven werken van barmhartigheid’: “Toen ik gevangen was, kwamen jullie naar mij toe" (Bijbel in gewone taal, Mattheüs XXV, 36). Maar pas in 1916 werd een uitgesproken katholieke reclasseringsvereniging opgericht. Sinds het midden van de negentiende eeuw waren er al katholieken in hoofd- en afdelingsbesturen van het Genootschap tot Zedelijke Verbetering actief geweest en er waren ook altijd wel katholieke celbezoekers geweest. Maar het hield niet over. Katholieken waren vanouds vooral actief in de zorg voor mensen die buiten eigen schuld in moeilijkheden waren gekomen: bejaarden, behoeftige kraamvrouwen, stille armen, of melaatsen in de missiegebieden. Dat een ex-gedetineerde een goed mens kon zijn en een kans verdiende, was moeilijk te geloven. Zou reclasseringswerk het zondebesef niet ondermijnen?

Het eerste pleidooi voor een eigen katholieke reclassering klinkt in 1910, het jaar dat de overheid zich structureel met reclassering gaat bezighouden. Reclasseringsinstellingen uit verschillende levensbeschouwelijke achtergronden werden erkend. De overheid ging bijdragen in de kosten. Deze overheidsfinanciering was nog mondjesmaat, maar het begin was er. De reclasseringsregeling werkte als een magneet. In alle grote steden ontstonden binnen, maar ook naast de Sint Vincentiusvereniging, die al sinds 1846 actief was in de armenzorg, commissies en verenigingen. Zij noemden zich: ‘Liefdewerken voor de reclassering van ontslagen gevangenen’. Sobrietas, de in 1898 opgerichte Federatie van katholieke drankbestrijdersverenigingen, kwam de gelederen versterken.

De oud-minister A.P.L. Nelissen (1851-1921), geestelijk vader van de Reclasseringsregeling 1910, was een stuwende kracht achter de oprichting in 1916 van de Rooms Katholieke Reclasseeringsvereeniging (RKRV). Maar eerste voorzitter van de nieuwe vereniging werd de Limburgse katholiek Jhr. Charles Ruijs de Beerenbrouck (1873-1936), Vincentiaan, door sommigen ‘rode jonker’ genoemd, lid van de Tweede Kamer en later minister-president van drie kabinetten. De sociaal bewogen priester Alfons Ariëns (1860-1928), pionier van Sobrietas en actief in het organiseren van de Twentse textielarbeiders, speelde een rol op de achtergrond.

Dit waren de jaren van groeiend zelfbewustzijn en expansieve dadendrang van katholieke bisschoppen, priesters, politici, religieuzen en leken. Deze beweging – voor een deel ook emancipatiebeweging – dateerde al van eerder. Discriminerende wetten ten aanzien van katholieken waren afgeschaft (1798, 1848) en voor het eerst sinds 1588 mochten katholieken in Nederland weer eigen bisschoppen hebben (1853). De invoering van het algemeen kiesrecht (1917, 1919) beloofde ongekende invloed. Katholieke instellingen en verenigingen rezen als paddenstoelen uit de grond: ziekenhuizen, kerken, scholen, gestichten, internaten. De hoogtijdagen van de verzuiling waren aangebroken (1910-1960).

In die context maakte de RKRV zich sterk als exclusief roomse vereniging om katholieke reclassenten ‘zedelijk te verbeteren en te verheffen en hen onder godsdienstig en maatschappelijk toezicht weder tot goede Christenen te maken”. De RKRV kreeg Den Bosch als vestigingsplaats. De aartsbisschop van Utrecht stelde een geestelijk adviseur aan. Deze adviseur had veel macht en invloed, omdat hij de besluiten van het bestuur moest goedkeuren en contacten onderhield met de kerkelijke leiding.
De RKRV was een vrijwilligersorganisatie. Zij boden hulp en steun aan cliënten en hun gezinnen, legden bezoeken af en verschaften lectuur en verstrekten schriftelijke inlichtingen over reclassenten aan justitie. Dit laatste werk werd na de oorlog in snel tempo overgenomen door professionals. In het topjaar 1950 waren er 41 afdelingen met enkele duizenden vrijwilligers, maar in 1965 waren nog 24 afdelingen actief.

De RKRV – sinds 1954 Katholieke Reclasseringsvereniging genoemd – heeft bestaan tot 1975. Als gevolg van snel toenemende professionalisering, mogelijk gemaakt door overheidsfinanciering, en algemeen maatschappelijke verschijnselen als secularisatie, ontkerkelijking en ontzuiling, kwam de KRV in een identiteitscrisis. Het draagvlak voor een apart georganiseerde katholieke vereniging viel weg. Ditzelfde proces maakte de Protestants Christelijke Reclasseringsvereniging (PCRV, opgericht in 1928) door. Fusiepartners waren het Genootschap, de KRV, de PCRV en de dr. F.S. Meyers-Vereniging. Zij vormden de Algemene Reclasseringsvereniging – voorloper van het tegenwoordige Reclassering Nederland.. Het Leger des Heils en de Consultatiebureaus voor Alcohol en Drugs (CAD’s) bleven buiten de fusie.

https://www.canonsociaalwerk.eu/nl_rcl/details.php?cps=7&canon_id=444

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Model 1916 (m16) helmen

Vanaf het voorjaar van 1916 werd geëxperimenteerd met een ontwerp van "van Heijst & Zn". Eind augustus 1916 kreeg de nieuwe helm zijn defenitieve vorm en op 9 september werd een offerte-aanvraag ingediend voor de productie van 50.000 helmen bij de firma van Heijst & Zn en de binnenwerken bij de firma Frans Pauwels.

Na enkele wijzigingen werd op 16 december 1916 de helm officieel vastgelegd als Helm No.1. Deze helm is beter bekand onder verzamelaars als de helm m16 of model 1916.

Uiteindelijk is de m16 in verschillende uitvoeringen en door verschillende fabrikanten geproduceerd tot 1928. De m16 is door de Krijgsmacht tot aan de capitulatie als uitrustingstuk gedragen. Na de capitulatie en tot in de jaren '60 van de vorige eeuw, is de m16 doorgebruikt door diverse instanties en organisaties.

Er zijn vijf modellen van de model 1916 helmen, namelijk:

De m16 geproduceerd vanaf 1916 tot en met 1918 door van Heijst & Zn.

De m16A geproduceerd vanaf 19122 tot en met 1924 door Eskilstuna, Hadfields en van Heist & Zn.

De m16B geproduceerd in 1926 door de Artillerie Inrichtingen.

De m16C en m16D geproduceerd in 1927 en 1928 door de Artillerie Inrichtingen.

https://dutchhelmets.nl/nederland-netherlands-dutch/krijgsmacht-leger-army-armed-forces/helm-helmen-combat-helmet-helmets/m16-m16A-m16B-m16C-m16D.html

Nederlandse helm M16 (model 1916)

In 1916 kreeg het Staatsbedrijf der Artillerie Inrichtingen 'de Hembrug' te Zaandam opdracht voor het ontwikkelen van een 'Nederlandse' helm. De firma Fabrieken van Stamp en Perswerken J.B. van Heijst en Zonen uit De Haag maakte de eerst experimentele proefhelmen. Op 9 september 1916 kreeg de firma Van Heijst opdracht voor het produceren en leveren van 50.000 stuks stalen helmen. Het gebruikte binnenwerk van Duits ontwerp voldeed niet en werd aangepast. De officiële vaststelling door het Departement van oorlog vond plaats op 16 december 1916. Door materiaal schaarste gedurende de 1e WO kwam de productie langzaam op gang. Het duurde nog tot 1922 voordat de Nederlandse helm Model 1916 op grote schaal werd gemaakt.

http://www.grebbelinieinhetvizier.nl/aanwinsten-2007-11.php

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 16 Dec 2019 14:53, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:45    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Haarlem's Dagblad, 16 december 1916: De bandietenstreek te Winschoten

Woensdagmorgen vervoegde zich - zoo luiden nadere berichten - mevr. Groeneveld bij den inspecteur van politie, den heer Verkaik, met de mededeeling, dat er een onbekend persoon op het kantoor was geweest die de heeren had gewaarschuwd, dat door een gemaskerde bende een aanslag op de kas zou worden gedaan. Mevrouw maakte zich daarover eenigzins ongerust, maar de heeren hadden geen geloof gehecht aan hetgeen de vreemde bezoeker had gezegd en het meer als een grap beschouwd. Helaas bleek maar al te spoedig hoeveel waarheid in de mededeeling gelegen is geweest. Wel werd geen aanslag door een bende gedaan, doch zeer zeker heeft de bandiet een plan daartoe aanvankelijk wel ontworpen. Naar de inspecteur van politie mededeelde, is er blijkbaar verraad in het spel geweest. De dader heeft nl. bekend, dat hij met anderen het plan had besproken om een aanslag in het groot te ondernemen. Met nog drie helpers wilde hij per auto naar het kantoor rijden, twee zouden de wacht houden bij de auto, terwijl hij zelf en een helper de bank zouden berooven, om daarna in de auto te verdwijnen. Voor de uitvoering van dit plan kon hij echter geen helpers vinden en toen heeft hij het alleen maar trachten uit te voeren.

Na zich vooraf het gezicht met steenkool zwart gemaakt te hebben - hij zeide dit te Bourtange te hebben gedaan, wat wel niet overeenkomstig de waarheid zal zijn - stal hij bij het café "St. Vitus" op het Marktplein een rijwiel, toebehoorende aan iemand te Scheemda, en reed daarna naar het kassierskantoor. Hij zette de fiets bij de deur en drong het kantoor binnen na het licht in de vestibule uitgeslagen te hebben. Onmiddellijk bij zijn binnenkomen loste hij een schot en snelde hij op een tafel af, waar hij meende, dat zich bankbiljetten bevonden. Hij deed een greep, maar pakte het verkeerde vak en kreeg alleen eenige kwitanties in handen. Onmiddellijk bij zijn binnentreden vlogen de in het kantoor aanwezige heeren op hem af en snelde een der heeren Groeneveld langs den booswicht heen naar buiten om politiehulp te halen. De inspecteur en een der agenten, zoomede de gem.-architect, waren op het Stadhuis en begaven zich onverwijld naar de plaats der misdaad. De inspecteur struikelde nog over de fiets, die de misdadiger bij den ingang had neergezet en nam dadelijk maatregelen om het ontsnappen van den boef te voorkomen. In het kantoor had zich echter reeds een verschrikkelijk drama afgespeeld. De bandiet had, toen hij zich in zijn plan gedwarsboomd zag, schoten gelost, waardoor de heeren De Vries en Ter Reegen getroffen waren. Een der klerken, de heer Kriegsman, die een revolver in de lade van zijn schrijftafel had, had van dit wapen gebruik gemaakt en een tweetal schoten op den misdadiger gelost, terwijl ook de heer Groeneveld op den misdadiger vuurde. Er heerschte een oogenblik eenige verwarring, maar een der aanwezigen, de kantoorlooper I. de Groot, wist den bandiet bij de beenen te krijgen en omver te trekken. In een oogenblik was hij nu overweldigd. De heer Verkaik, die onmiddellijk zag met welk een gevaarlijk sujet hij te doen had, liet dezen dadelijk in boeien en touwen slaan. Wel bloedde hij uit zijn gezicht en meende men, dat hij een schot in het hoofd had, maar de heer Verkaik herinnerde zich hoe de Boer al eens eerder een schijndoode speelde en nam zijn maatregelen. Trouwens hij zag al spoedig, dat de boef door zijn wenkbrauwen gluurde en bevond ook dat de pols regelmatig sloeg.

Inmiddels was er getelefoneerd om de doctoren Van Olm en Wartena, die ook dadelijk ter plaatse verschenen en de zwaar gewonde heeren De Vries en Ter Reegen in behandeling namen.

Ook werd onmiddellijk de officier van justitie, de heer mr. 's Jacob gewaarschuwd, die aanstonds op de plaats der misdaad verscheen, vergezeld van eenige andere leden der rechterlijke macht. Ook de burgemeester was ter plaatse aanwezig, alsmede de wachtmeester der marechaussees.

Bij den heer De Vries, werd een schotwonde geconstateerd in de borst dicht bij het hart. De kogel, die op korten afstand was gelost, had een groot gat veroorzaakt en zijn weg genomen dwars door een der longen om in den rug te blijven steken. De jeugdige Ter Reegen was eveneens op korten afstand getroffen. Hij had den onverlaat nl. om den middel gegrepen toen deze de browning afdrukte tegen den buik van zijn slachtoffer.

De kogel ging door den ingewanden en een der darmen werd op een 7-tal plaatsen verscheurd. Na voorloopig te zijn verbonden, werden beide zwaar gewonde slachtoffers onmiddellijk per ziekenauto naar het ziekenhuis te Groningen overgebracht.

De bandiet, die nog steeds zwaar gewond scheen te zijn, werd naar het stadhuis getransporteerd. Daar werd het bloed van zijn gezicht gewasschen en bleek het, dat hij heel goed bij zijn positieven en niet noemenswaard gewond was. Alleen had hij eenige kwetsuren aan zijn hoofd en mond en bij het onderzoek bleek, dat hij een schot in het linker-bovenbeen had gekregen.

Hij onderging Woensdagavond een verhoor en daarbij legde hij een volledige bekentenis af. Zijn doel was geweest om te rooven en revolver en mes had hij meegenomen om ieder, die hem in den weg trad, omver te schieten of dood te steken. Hij wilde geld hebben.

Om zijn middel had hij een zak gebonden, die dienen moest om het geroofde te bergen. Zijn gezicht had hij zwart gemaakt om zich onherkenbaar te maken, terwijl hij om het nemen van vingerafdrukken te voorkomen, een der handen eveneens zwart gemaakt en om de andere een zwarten handschoen had getrokken. Zwaar geboeid is de misdadiger naar het huis van bewaring overgebracht.

De inspecteur, de heer Verkaik, die het onderzoek inzake dit misdrijf leidde, nam het mes en de browning in beslag benevens eenige ledige hulzen. Op de revolver zaten nog vijf scherpe patronen, zoodat er drie afgeschoten werden. Bovendien werd in het bezit van den dader nog een reservehouder met 8 patronen gevonden. Het slagersmes was nog nieuw, wellicht expres voor deze gelegenheid aangeschaft.

Omtrent den toestand der slachtoffers vernam men nog dat die van den heer De Vries, hoewel ernstig, toch niet hopeloos is. De kogel die in den rug is blijven steken kan voorloopig niet worden verwijderd. Wel werd de long doorboord, maar overigens werden geen edele deelen getroffen. De toestand van den jeugdigen Ter Reegen werd als zeer bedenkelijk beschouwd.

De bandiet, die alles vooraf had uitgerekend en waarschijnlijk reeds langer met het plan heeft rondgeloopen verklaarde nog, dat hij de fiets gestolen had om zich spoedig uit de voeten te kunnen maken. Ook deelde hij mede, dat hij wel eens eerder in het kantoor der firma Groeneveld was geweest om Duitsch geld te wisselen en dat hij toen zijn oogen den kost gegeven had om te zien waar het geld werd geborgen, zoo vertelt de Winsch. Ct.

https://genealogiewinschoten.nl/diversen/oud-nieuws-uit-winschoten/1916-bandietenstreek-te-winschoten-overval-op-fa-groeneveld

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:46    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Bruno's Weekly, Volume 3, Number 25, 16 December 1916

https://bluemountain.princeton.edu/bluemtn/?a=d&d=bmtnaaq19161216-01&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-------

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:48    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Transport difficulties on the Somme front, 16 December 1916.

A horse-drawn waggon and a lorry struggle through the thick mud and flooded shell holes on the Aveluy-Albert road. From a box of 80 lantern slides. Lantern slide, World War One, Western Front (1914-1918), 1916.

https://www.army.mod.uk/firstworldwarresources/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/06/134025.jpg
(via https://www.army.mod.uk/firstworldwarresources/somme-1916/transport-difficulties-on-the-somme-front-16-december-1916 )

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

16 December 1916: Nurse Crystal Evelyn McCord

Born 5 September 1897 in Reeve Township, Daviess County, Indiana

Her parents were Jabez and Rachel McCord.

Crystal graduated from Nichols Hospital, Battle Creek, Michigan, June, 1917.

She volunteered as army nurse, 15 February 1918, and was sent to Camp Greene, N. C. She embarked from New York, 12 June 1918 and on arrival in France was assigned to Evacuation Hospital No. 1, Toul.

She contracted influence and died 16 December 1918, age 21.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/on-this-day/16-december-1916-nurse-crystal-evelyn-mccord/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Grigori Raspoetin (1869-1916)
Door: Maurice Blessing

(...) Op de avond van 16 december 1916 wordt Raspoetin onder het mom van een feestje naar de villa van prins Felix Yusupov gelokt. Daar wordt hij ontvangen door een klein groepje samenzweerders, onder wie een neef van Nicolaas II, groothertog Dmitry Pavlovich. Wat zich die nacht precies in de kelder van het huis heeft afgespeeld zal nooit geheel duidelijk worden. Wat we echter met zekerheid weten is dat Raspoetins levenloze lichaam in de vroege ochtend van 17 december de poort uit werd gedragen, om niet veel later vanaf de Grote Pertrovsky-brug in de Malaya Nevka-rivier te worden gedumpt.

Daar wordt het twee dagen later, even stroomafwaarts, diepgevroren aangetroffen. Het lichaam is door het kruiende ijs zwaar toegetakeld, maar autopsie wijst uit dat hij door drie pistoolschoten is geraakt, waarvan één in de rug. De laatste, van dichtbij in het hoofd, is hoogstwaarschijnlijk het fatale schot geweest. (...)

In zijn geheel te lezen op https://www.historischnieuwsblad.nl/nl/artikel/46898/grigori-raspoetin-1869-1916.html

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:54    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Oorlogsdagboek Raphaël Waterschoot 1914-1918 - hoe een burger van Sint Niklaas de Groote Oorlog beleeft

16 december 1916 - zaterdag - Sint Niklaas. Albert gaat alleen bij den dokter naar Antwerpen (onderlijnd).

https://raphaelwaterschoot.wordpress.com/2016/12/16/16-december-1916-zaterdag-sint-niklaas/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 14:58    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Argus, 16 december 1915
Bron: National Library of Australia

Vile Turks - TREATMENT OF ARMENIANS - One Million Victims Perish

Lord Bryce, in a letter to the “Daily Telegraph,” returns to the subject of the Turkish atrocities in Armenia. He writes:—

“A competent authority estimates that 1,000,000 Armenians have perished. Further details show that 5,000 people were literally driven to death under the lash. Awful cases of pillage, murder, outrage, starvation, and girl stealing are related.

“In one case 200 Armenians were taken in trucks to the river bank, where each truckload was shot. All Armenian men were half-stripped, then tied together, and taken away. The women and girls were distributed among the Turkish villages, where the Turks scrutinised them, and chose whom they wanted. A wealthy Armenian resident, who saw his wife and three daughters taken away, became a raving lunatic.

“An eye-witness says;— To-day I counted 21 women and children in a hospital, lying on the floor, suffering from sheer exhaustion. Three of the children were moribund, and half of the remainder are likely to die. Two children were forcibly separated from their mother. One of them was left to lie on the damp ground, and died. The mother strayed on to a railway line, and her leg was partially amputated. The mother is now demented. The sufferings of the people are too horrible and awful to describe.”

https://www.armeensegenocide.info/pers-aus/AR-16-12-1915.html

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 15:02    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Tijdschrift De Levende Natuur, aflevering 16, 16 december 1915

Daarin: Thijsse, J.P. (1915) De vogels van de Noordzee-eilanden.

Het ongeval, waardoor de vogels van Rottum getroffen zijn, heeft al heel wat pennen in beweging gebracht en uit alles blijkt, dat men over het algemeen nog lang geen goed inzicht heeft, in wat ik nu maar eens zal noemen de vogeltoestanden op de Waddeneilanden. Ongetwijfeld heeft de mobilisatie veel onheil aangericht en lang niet alleen op Rottum. Voor een groot deel was dit met den besten wil ter wereld niet te verhoeden, en de militaire overheid heeft in vele gevallen haar goeden wil getoond, in andere gevallen haar onmacht beseft.
Reeds in 't voorjaar van 1915 ontving ik van den militairen commandant van Rottum het verzoek, om voor zijn mannen een voordracht met lichtbeelden te doen houden, teneinde bij hen goede begrippen te vestigen omtrent vogelbescherming. Toen is in opdracht van de Vereeniging tot Behoud van Natuurmonumenten de heer J. Drijver naar het verre eiland getogen met plaatjes en lantaarn en heeft daar de goede zaak bevorderd. Hij werd uitstekend ontvangen en wij hoopten, dat het helpen zou. (...)

Benieuwd naar de rest? Ga naar http://natuurtijdschriften.nl/download?type=document&docid=487745

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 15:05    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

16 December 1915 - ANZAC

Brigadier-General John Monash, Headquarters, 4th Australian Brigade, NZ&A Division, AIF - A letter home from Monash gave a fine description of the evacuation arrangements as they were proceeding at Anzac on 16 December.

"The day passed quite uneventfully. We managed to get some baggage off today, as the wind has dropped and the sea is calmer. The total strength of Anzac has in the last four days been reduced from 45,000 to 20,000 and we shall continue to hold the lines against at least 170,000 Turks (ten divisions) until the second last day, and on the very last day we shall have only 10,000. Everything is working out, so far, most smoothly. Today for the first time, I took my staff and commanding officers into my confidence, and explained to them the outline of the general scheme, and the particular role each would have to play. The rest of the day I spent in preparing a complete draft of my final orders. In view of the steadiness of the barometer, and the generally favourable conditions, it has now been decided to carry out the operation of re-embarkation tomorrow and Sunday. Today, therefore, we had our final divisional conference, and took mutual farewells of each other. General Birdwood himself came over from Imbros, and specially picked my lines for a visit. He went along my whole line, and shook hands with all the officers and expressed the hope that they would come through alive. I have already sent off about 800 of the brigade, tomorrow. McGlinn goes with another 800, and on the last night I take the remaining 825. These, I have divided into three echelons or groups, the first 400, the second 255, the last of all 170 - moving respectively at 6pm, 10pm, and 2am. The last 170, or the 'die-hards' have been chosen from the most gallant and capable men in the brigade. Even these will not all leave the trenches in a bunch, but a few of the most daring men, who are good athletes, will remain in the front trenches and keep up fire for another ten minutes, and then will make for the beach at best possible speed. I am myself going with the first group of the last 170, as by that time the die will be cast, and I can do no good by waiting for the last small handful. The men, while very sad at having to give up the ground which has cost Australia so dear, are all keen, and I am quite sure that not a man in the brigade will move from his post, no matter what happens, until the last moment arranged for him to do so. It has been worrying me to think that, if we get clear away without much loss, the enemy will nevertheless represent the incident as a great victory for them, even to the extent of alleging that there has been a great fight and that have driven us into the sea with heavy losses and many prisoners. So I made it my special business to explain my apprehensions to General Birdwood, and he has promised me that as soon as possible after the completion of the operation he will cable to Australia and New Zealand in order an public anxiety as to the welfare of the Army Corps."

SOURCE: J. Monash quoted by F. M. Cutlack, "War Letters of General Monash" (Australia: Angus & Robertson Ltd, 1934), pp.96-97, https://www.gallipoli-association.org/on-this-day/december/16/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 16 Dec 2019 15:09    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

16 December 1915 – Syria

The Anglo-French alliance is much weaker than its political leaders admit in public. Historic enemies, France and Britain are still rivals for Egypt, influence in the Middle East, and access to India and the Far East, with consequences in the formulation of their policies. Their differences begin on the Western Front, where the French army still does most of the fighting and dying while the British Army continues building its forces and calling for strategic patience, but the gap between strategic visions only widens the farther away we look.

Casting about for a new theater to attack the creaking Ottoman Empire in the wake of their retreat from Gallipoli, London has once again proposed landings around Alexandretta, the port city lying in the sharp bend of the Turkish coastline, but Paris has rejected the idea for fear that Britain will claim influence in the parts of the Levant that they covet for themselves. As December began, British Ambassador Francis Bertie warned Foreign Secretary Sir Edward Grey of “an inclination in some society and commercial quarters to think that we are making use of France against Germany for our own sole benefit and that much greater sacrifices are being made by France.” Despite closer coordination than ever between military commands, the cross-channel partnership is in very real danger of unraveling.

It is in this atmosphere that Sir Mark Sykes arrives for a meeting of the War Cabinet at Number 10 Downing Street today holding a map of Ottoman territories (see above). After weeks of study, Sykes proposes to draw a line across the region “from the E in Acre to the last K in Kirkuk” that will separate British and French areas of influence, and the Cabinet receives his idea enthusiastically. Sykes will not live long enough to see any of the tremendous consequences that his infamous colored pencils have incurred on the modern world: with modifications that bring Mosul into a new Mesopotamian nation, the line Sykes has drawn to limit British influence will become the long northern border of Jordan and Iraq. Intended as Britain’s entryway into the Levant, a carve-out that includes Haifa and Palestine will eventually be separated from the Transjordan; then, by the influence of Zionists over three decades, it will morph into the state of Israel. Today’s meeting is therefore one of the most fateful and important moments in the making of our present, violent world.

Having served as Resident in Beirut until Turkey’s entry into the war brought his diplomatic expulsion, French diplomat François Georges-Picot is an old Middle East hand who serves French imperial interests very well. He will meet Sykes for the first time on December 21st in a series of discussions that prove to be the matrix in which the modern Middle East is shaped, for better and worse.

Georges-Picot is well aware of the discontent in Arab sections of the Ottoman Empire; during 1914, he received thirty-three private letters from Arab Muslims, Christians, at least one Palestinian, and even a senior Arab officer of the Ottoman Army asking for French intervention against Ottoman authority in Beirut. But France was unwilling to grant Arab independence before the war, and is even less willing to entertain the idea now; rather than take the bundle of treasonous correspondence back to Paris, Picot hid it in the consulate basement, which was under nominal diplomatic protection by the still-neutral United States. During 1916, however, an imprisoned translator in Damascus will offer the bundle to save his own skin, resulting in the arrest, torture, and execution of everyone who had trusted Picot. The incident — which takes place just three days before Georges-Picot signs the secret arrangement with Sykes — is illustrative of the ways French policy will impact the Levant during the rest of the 20th Century. From the beginning, Georges-Picot demands a more direct mandate for France along the Mediterranean coast, where there is a higher concentration of Christians; it is in an effort to protect these religious minorities that Lebanon is resected from what is to become Syria. In time, France’s pronounced favoritism towards the Alawites sets up them up as the ruling minority in Syria, producing the unbalanced social and political system that collapses into civil war during 2011.

As exemplified by Sykes’s signature on the agreement being written in pencil rather than pen, British policy lies on a very different track. Whereas London will prefer to see the arrangement as an ad hoc, malleable framework for further negotiation, Paris has a much firmer view, and spends the next few years trying to hold the British government to the letter of its word. But the allies’ policies diverge the most at Arab uprising and independence, for the intelligence staff at the Army of India General Headquarters in Cairo is increasingly convinced that a new, rival caliphate to the Turks can be erected around the Sharif of Mecca. They already know about the thirty-three letters and Georges-Picot’s Arab officer; during April, the British Foreign Office authorized High Commissioner Henry McMahon in Egypt to open a dialogue with Arab leaders to foment sedition, though he was by no means authorized to actually commit the crown to any arrangement granting independence. In the months to come, an intelligence analyst and junior officer named Thomas Edward Lawrence will lobby for a mission to spark Arab rebellion against their Turkish masters, but the British Empire has no intention of honoring the promises he makes of a future united Arab kingdom. That inducement also runs quite contrary to the private arrangement with France, of course, and during the postwar peace conference, Britain will manage to both break its word to the Arabs while simultaneously annoying the French with demands to modify the Sykes-Picot agreement. Such an unfair and dishonest process is guaranteed to create resentment, and in fact those feelings still linger today.

https://ww1blog.osborneink.com/?p=10983

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: