Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hťt WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privť berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privť berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

World War I VC to go up for auction

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Commonwealth Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 21 Nov 2010 19:12    Onderwerp: World War I VC to go up for auction Reageer met quote

World War I VC to go up for auction

Tim Barlass
November 14, 2010

THE 1000th Victoria Cross awarded to a Commonwealth serviceman is part of a set of six medals to be auctioned this month and expected to fetch $550,000.

The medals were awarded to Private Henry Dalziel, with the VC given for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Hamel Wood in France in 1918.

The citation, published in the London Gazette, stated: ''A heavy concentration of machinegun fire caused many casualties, and held up our advance. His [Dalziel's] Lewis gun having come into action and silenced enemy guns in one direction, an enemy gun opened fire from another direction. Private Dalziel dashed at it and with his revolver, killed or captured the entire crew and gun, and allowed our advance to continue.''

Advertisement: Story continues below
The catalogue for auction house Noble records Private Dalziel's personal account of the action. ''We were harassed by murderous fire from a nearby enemy stronghold, the Australian advance was held up. My gun had cleaned up one [machinegun] nest, but another planted in a different direction opened fire. I dashed at it killing seven Germans with my two revolvers. One German bloodhound wounded me in the hand, but I soon had him on the ground. I lunged at him with my German dagger, catching him right over the heart. His dying cry upset me and I shivered.''

The medals are to be offered for sale by the recipient's two sons and daughter. The category A medal is not allowed to leave the country, but can be bought by someone abroad.

(c) http://www.smh.com.au/national/world-war-i-vc-to-go-up-for-auction-20101113-17rul.html

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 21 Nov 2010 23:19    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

No 1936 Private Henry DALZIEL, VC
15th Battalion, 4th Infantry Brigade. 4th Division. AIF

4th July 1918, at Hamel Wood, France

CITATION: For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty when in action with a Lewis gun section. His company met with determined resistance from a strong point which was strongly garrisoned, manned by numerous machine-guns and, undamaged by our artillery fire, was also protected by strong wire entanglements. A heavy concentration of machine-gun fire caused many casualties, and held up our advance. His Lewis gun having come into action and silenced enemy guns in one direction, an enemy gun opened fire from another direction. Private Dalziel dashed at it and with his revolver, killed or captured the entire crew and gun, and allowed our advance to continue. He was severely wounded in the hand, but carried on and took part in the capture of the final objective. He twice went over open ground under heavy enemy artillery and machine-gun fire to secure ammunition, and though suffering from considerable loss of blood, he filled magazines and served his gun until severely wounded through the head. His magnificent bravery and devotion to duty was an inspiring example to all his comrades and his dash and unselfish courage at a critical time undoubtedly saved many lives and turned what would have been a serious check into a splendid success.
(London Gazette: 17th August 1918.)

Lees verder op http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-vc/dalziel-vc.htm

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 21 Nov 2010 23:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Quote:
His medals, which are greatly sought by American collectors due to his VC being awarded for his actions on their Independence Day, are in the familyís bank vault. They are the Victoria Cross., 1914/15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Australian War Medal 1939/45, Australian Service Medal, King George V1 Coronation Medal, Queen Elizabeth 11 Coronation Medal.

Well... not anymore!

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privť bericht
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Commonwealth Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: