Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

Iron Maiden-Paschendale

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Kunst Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 7:25    Onderwerp: Iron Maiden-Paschendale Reageer met quote

The first thing you hear in the song is Nicko's rhythmic hits on the hi-hat in a similar way to Morse code, the old communication method consisting of short and long signals on a broadcast, and that was used quite a lot for communication during WW I. Then the intro starts in earnest with periods of melodic calm alternating with more intense blasts of music, reminiscent of the quiet periods in-between times of heavy shelling that took place during the trench war. The scene is quickly set and Maiden's music renders once again visions of war and assault, like it does so realistically with songs such as 'The Trooper', for instance. Only instead of horses charging enemy lines, this is here a story of mud-filled, horrid death and absolute horror like only the Great War has shown in recent History. This is also probably the most poignant Iron Maiden song, depicting with vivid images what the life – and death – conditions were on the front at that time. The ending of the song is soft, containing verses that attest of the absence of hatred between the parties at war, as both sides of the front line were ordinary people thrown into the slaughter by their respective mindless leaders and all suffered equally. This is a fantastic epic song that is bound to become a classic.

'Paschendale' tells us of the horrors of the First World War, taking the example of a battle that happened in Belgium, but the story could have taken place on virtually any battlefield of that time. Here, a new light is shed on the atrocity of war, as this one (like WW II) was fought essentially by conscripts who were dragged into this terrible nightmare, unlike most recent wars like the First Gulf War depicted by Iron Maiden in 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers' – wars that were fought by professional soldiers whose job is to guarantee peace after the famous Latin proverb "si vis pacem para bellum" (if you want peace, prepare for war).

Amidst this terrible pointless massacre that was called World War I, or the "Great War", or sometimes referred to in an unintentional irony as the "war to end all wars", the third battle of Ypres – also known as the battle of Passchendaele, as this was the name of the village that was the main objective of the Allied troops – sticks out as a symbol of useless massive loss of lives and of the ugliness of war. During the period from 31st July to 12th November 1917, a total of over half a million lives (300,000 British, including some 38,000 ANZACs and 16,000 Canadians, and 250,000 German) were wasted for an advance of a mere few miles into the enemy lines. Although the offensive was conducted by British troops under the command of a British general – Sir Douglas Haig, then commander-in-chief of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) in France and Belgium – the troops were also largely composed of Canadian soldiers and of the ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps), which is why these countries still nowadays retain a more vivid memory of Passchedaele than others.

Haig has been largely criticised, including by British Prime Minister of the time David Lloyd George, for the way he handled the campaigns he had been assigned, namely the Battle of the Somme in 1916 and Passchendaele in 1917. For his defence, it is known that the French put much pressure on him to relieve the strain of the Verdun offensive further South and distract the attention of the German war machine away from an area where the French troops were having terrible difficulties (that subsequently led to mutiny in the ranks of the French army that same year). However, Haig seems to have been an incredibly arrogant and stubborn person who disregarded entirely human life (like many Generals of that time, regardless of their nationalities) and who did not even pay attention to the advice of the general commanding the area of Ypres, General Sir Hubert Gough, to stop the battle due to the heavy rain conditions that rendered the battlefield incredibly muddy and completely impracticable. The order was simply to push on, no matter what.

Flanders, in Belgium, is an area reputed for its heavy rains and unpredictable weather, mainly in the autumn, and the fields had an intricate drainage system that prevented them from returning to the marshy zone they were pried from by the local population in the nineteenth century. During the offensive, the shelling by both sides at war created a huge bog area where no gravel was present to quench the flooding of the battlefield. To add to the misery, the rains of 1917 were the heaviest recorded for the region in 75 years. The mud was knee- to waist-deep and many soldiers, wounded or simply exhausted, weakened by fighting, sickness and the lack of food, simply drowned in it. Many disappeared without a trace, although bodies of unknown soldiers have been recovered regularly in the area for many years afterwards, some as late as 2003!). About 42,000 allied troops went missing in action, their bodies never recovered.

Australians and New-Zealanders were relentlessly sent to the slaughter by "Butcher" Haig who still wanted to press on despite the steady downpour of rain and the horrifying losses due to the deadly efficiency of the German strategy. They fought bravely during those weeks of constant advances followed by forced retreats. They eventually took the village of Passchendaele, only to fall back in front of German fire, as the British troops that were supposed to provide reinforcement were unable to support them. As Haig retired the ANZAC from the battle, he sent in the Canadians who, in the voice of their commander General Currie, refused to go until the weather had improved and the adequate logistics made available. The Canadians eventually took the village – or whatever was left of it – and the battle finally ended.

In the song, the line "German war propaganda machine/Such before has never been seen" is somewhat strange in the sense that Germany was not the only country to have had an extensive propaganda during the conflict, although it was the first time in History that it was used to such extent on either side of the front line. All nations engaged in the war had all sort of posters advertising the war bonds to support the war effort (money is indeed the nerve of war) or promoting the enlistment of the young men in the armies of their respective countries to join in the bloodshed.

The purpose of the taking of Passchendaele had originally been to break through the enemy lines to eventually progress to the ports of the North Sea and prevent further attacks of the Kriegsmarine (the German navy) whose submarines were the scourge of the Allied ships. By the time the battle was over, the plan had changed and the harbours were not the main objective anymore. But Haig had set his mind on taking Passchendaele, and it is exactly what he did. But at what cost!

This battle remains in History as a blatant example of the cruelty and uselessness of war. A bloody tribute to the evils that can surge from the human heart, as well as a homage to the bravery of those men who surpassed themselves in front of sheer horror. This is well summed up in this short poetry from Siegfried Sassoon (1886–1967), a writer who fought in the Great War and became famous for his anti-war stance resulting from the way mindless generals were mercilessly sending men to the slaughter, and who wrote in his poem Memorial Tablet:

...I died in Hell
(they called it Passchendaele) my wound was slight
And I was hobbling back; and then a shell
Burst slick upon the duckboards; so I fell
Into the bottomless mud, and lost the light

www.maidenfans.com

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 7:26    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

© maidenfans.com

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Reiné

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 7:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Prachtig Yvonne, bedankt!! Cool Cool Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail
kreidje

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 7:50    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

En hier de song zelf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSnSuZobR7k
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Reiné

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 8:00    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

kreidje @ 02 Jul 2007 8:50 schreef:
En hier de song zelf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSnSuZobR7k

Of nog beter(e kwaliteit): de live dvd van het optreden 2003 in Dortmund (geloof ik..) Cool
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail
puck

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 15:15    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Rolling Eyes En ik maar denken dat bruce het zelf geschreven heeft.Enfin nu hebben we alles wel compleet over dit meesterwerk.
oh ja,de live opname staat op ''DEATH ON THE ROAD''
inderdaad Dortmund 2003.
Smile bedankt Wink
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht AIM Naam
rady

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 16:34    Onderwerp: Motörhead -1916 Reageer met quote

16 years old when I went to war,
To fight for a land fit for heroes,
God on my side,and a gun in my hand,
Counting my days down to zero,
And I marched and I fought and I bled
And I died & I never did get any older,
But I knew at the time, That a year in the line,
Is a long enough life for a soldier,
We all volunteered,
And we wrote down our names,
And we added two years to our ages,
Eager for life and ahead of the game,
Ready for history's pages,
And we fought and we brawled
And we whored 'til we stood,
Ten thousand shoulder to shoulder,
A thirst for the Hun,
We were food for the gun,and that's
What you are when you're soldiers,
I heard my friend cry,
And he sank to his knees,coughing blood
As he screamed for his mother
And I tell by his, side,
And that's how we died,
Clinging like kids to each other,
And I lay in the mud
And the guts and the blood,
And I wept as his body grew colder,
And I called for my mother
And she never came,
Though it wasn't my fault
And I wasn't to blame,
The day not half over
And ten thousand slain,and now
There's nobody remembers our names Í
And that's how it is for a soldier.

http://www.imotorhead.com/index_flash.htm
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
arneken

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 19:32    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

prachtig nummer.

hier de tekst:

In a foreign field he lay
Lonely soldier, unknown grave
On his dying words he prays
Tell the world of Paschendale

Relive all that he's been through
Last communion of his soul
Rust your bullets with his tears
Let me tell you 'bout his years

Laying low in a blood filled trench
Kill tim 'til my very own death
On my face I can feel the falling rain
Never see my friends again

In the smoke, in the mud and lead
Smell the fear and the feeling of dread
Soon be time to go over the wall
Rapid fire and the end of us all

Whistles, shouts and more gun fire
Lifeless bodies hang on barbed wire
Battlefield nothing but a bloody tomb
Be reunited with my dead friends soon

Many soldiers eighteen years
Drown in mud, no more tears
Surely a war no-one can win
Killing time about to begin

Home, far away
From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away
But the war, no chance to live again

The bodies of ours and our foes
The sea of death it overflows
In no man's land, God only knows
Into jaws of death we go

Crucified as if on a cross
Allied troops they mourn their loss
German war propaganda machine
Such before has never been seen

Swear I heard the angels cry
Pray to god no more may die
So that people know the truth
Tell the tale of Paschendale

Cruelty has a human heart
Every man does play his part
Terror of the men we kill
The human heart is hungry still

I stand my ground for the very last time
Gun is ready as I stand in line
Nervous wait for the whistle to blow
Rush of blood and over we go

Blood is falling like the rain
Its crimson cloak unveils again
The sound of guns can't hide their shame
And so we die on Paschendale

Dodging shrapnel and barbed wire
Running straight at the cannon fire
Running blind as I hold my breath
Say a prayer symphony of death

As we charge the enemy lines
A burst of fire and we go down
I choke a cry but no-one hears
Fell the blood go down my throat

Home, far away
From the war, a chance to live again
Home, far away
But the war, no chance to live again

See my spirit on the wind
Across the lines, beyond the hill
Friend and foe will meet again
Those who died at Paschendale

@kreidje: niets tegn uw youtubenummer maar dit vind ik persoonlijk beter. het komt van 1 van hun talrijke dvd's en bevatten mooie filmbeeldenvna de slag:Iron Maiden - Paschendale by Aspalathos Studio
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht MSN Messenger
puck

BerichtGeplaatst: 02 Jul 2007 19:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

ja,bedankt maar we vervallen nu in herhaling.
Deze beide nummers zijn al uitgebreid besproken op dit forum.
[no hard feelings]
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht AIM Naam
Zandhaas

BerichtGeplaatst: 03 Jul 2007 10:17    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

arneken @ 02 Jul 2007 20:32 schreef:
prachtig nummer.

@kreidje: niets tegn uw youtubenummer maar dit vind ik persoonlijk beter. het komt van 1 van hun talrijke dvd's en bevatten mooie filmbeeldenvna de slag:Iron Maiden - Paschendale by Aspalathos Studio

Het beeldmateriaal komt hoofdzakelijk uit de serie "Anzacs" en van de film "van het westerlijk front geen nieuws".
Blijft wel een mooi nummer en een goede clip
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Kunst Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: